Mac OS Big Sur/parallels 16.1.1: don't connect usb external devices

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ErricoM, Dec 4, 2020.

1. ErricoM

ErricoM Bit poster

Hi,
    If I insert a USB device into my mac, it appears in Parallels in the drop-down list of available USB devices but, when I try to select it, nothing happens.
    Do you have a solution?
    Thanks

2. MathiasR2

MathiasR2 Bit poster

Same here for any kind of guests (macOS Catalina, Big Sur, High Sierra, Windows 10)

3. AbelR

AbelR Junior Member

Bug sur+16.1.1, same here, can't connect any device to the VM.

4. DavideT3

DavideT3 Bit poster

Big sur. Same problem. Someone have a workaround?

5. MacMicsu

MacMicsu Bit poster

Same specs, same problem: usb memory not detected. If usb stick is defined as a permanent assignment, Windows 10 won't start at all. Parallels start up window just takes 100% cpu and nothing happens. Updated from 15.1.5 to 16.1.1. With 15 usb worked, but with 16 not anymore. Any solutions?

6. DavideT3

DavideT3 Bit poster

/Library/Preferences/Parallels/dispatcher.desktop.xml
    find
    <Usb>0</Usb>
    replace with
    <Usb>1</Usb>.

It works for me.

7. AbelR

AbelR Junior Member

That's for USB disks but I can use any usb device, example USB network card, USB barcode scanner, etc. All of them are detected, none of the can be connected to the VM. With 15.1 and Catalina all was working fine.

8. PSG

PSG Member

Attached Files:

9. AbelR

AbelR Junior Member

I've solved it uninstalling Parallels, deleting /Library/Preferencies/Parallels, reinstall 16.1.2 from scratch, after activation I've loaded the VM and now all usb devices works, don't know if it's a bug related to upgraded versions.

10. shalafi

shalafi Bit poster

Hello Abel.
    I'm struggling for this problem as well. I work in the automotive field and have a lot of usb devices which are not memory storage and must be used with Win: it has always worked since 2016 when I started using parallels, but with the last update none of this devices work anymore.
    I'm virtualizing a Bootcamp partition, and if I start "natively" everything works: it a problem of Parallels drivers.

After your last post, I tried to remove everything and restart from scratch, but with no luck.

Can you please tell me what you did specifically? Thanks a lot

11. AbelR

AbelR Junior Member

The steps are what I wrote, I removed my Parallels installation, removed manually /Library/Preferences/Parallels, reinstall latest version (16.1.2), before activation I'll try the VM in trial mode, update VM Tools and after that my devices, that previously were detected but unable to connect to the VM, worked.

I've tested a barcode scanner with RS232 emulation, USB Lan interface and works ok. VCDS is a simple USB device, I use Xentry PassThru with an Actia XS USB and also works.

Don't know really why it works now, but those are the steps I did. Anyway I'm moving to VMWare, I don't need the 3D stuff (that is the only difference I've found in performance between both platforms) because last times these kind of problems are very common in PD and I'm tired of waste my time trying to solve it.

12. shalafi

shalafi Bit poster

Thank you Abel. I tried but to no luck.
    Can I ask you, since now it works for you, if you can publish the contents of your /Library/Preferences/Parallels/dispatcher.desktop.xml file, so to see if there is any meaningful configuration?

Thanks a lot

13. AbelR

AbelR Junior Member

Sorry but two days ago I moved my three Macs to VMWare and uninstalled Parallels so I can't help you, good luck anyway...

14. shalafi

shalafi Bit poster

no prob, thanks.. in any case, me as well have setup Bootcamp via VMWare this afternoon and everything works fine. It seems to me slower and with some graphical glitch (like the mouse pointer with weird borders sometime), but I still have to work on the options, so let's see.
    Hope Parallels will fix the problems meanwhile, but I have to work with the system and cannot wait for their time, since they do not seem to consider particularly of interest these problems.
    Not a great customer support and retention, jm2c

15. AdamK11

AdamK11 Bit poster

Before I write this, please know I faced a similar problem and spent some time on the phone with support. They were helpful and troubleshot for about 15 minutes doing everything I already did. Then the support individual had me send technical information and change a permission in the Mac settings. Now the USB drive works as expected.

Without going through the step by step, here is the very short resolution for my case:

Shutdown VM
    Shutdown Parallels Desktop
    (Mac) System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy -> Full Disk Access -> + (Manually Add Parallels Desktop)
    Start Parallels Desktop
    Start VM

I hope this helps.

16. AbelR

AbelR Junior Member

Don't know what means "Bootcamp via VMWare" since Bootcamp doesn't need any kind of virtualization so I guess you mean you've installed Fusion and setup a VM.

The performance is the almost the same (better CPU in VMWare, worst GPU in VMWare) except in 3d graphics, for example with PD you can use Autodesk Inventor, with VMWare it's veeeery slow due the intense GPU use in 3D. I use PD mainly developing Win software (Visual Studio) and for automotive stuff as a fun and the speed is the same for that use.

17. AbelR

AbelR Junior Member

One of the first things I did was enable all the stuff about Parallels in Security & Privacy and that did not solve anything. I guess that you've been lucky and they touch anything more in the support session, I gyess really don't know what's happen, I got one of my installation work and still don't know exactly that was the right thing. Since version 14 this product is a big beta that force users that need more than just a VM to work with Office to investigate and find workarounds just to works. Don't know if this is for MacOS and its new security or what, but every version goes worst.

18. shalafi

shalafi Bit poster

I mean that I basically use PD to virtualize my bootcamp partition, so I can use it without restarting the Mac, and at the same time I don't create a brand new VM. So I create a VM to use the Bootcamp partition

19. shalafi

shalafi Bit poster

Thanks, I will test more in deep the new VM framework and see if everything is the same :)

20. shalafi

shalafi Bit poster

Thank you Adam.
    I just tried your suggestion, manually adding PD in the Privacy tab as illustrated, but with no luck: nothing changes, even with a restart or Parallels Tools reinstalled :(
    Don't know what else to try, hope the customer support to intervene