How to launch control center clicking on Parallels Desktop icon?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by AkosB, May 7, 2020.

1. AkosB

AkosB Bit poster

I'm using multiple VMs, my VMs are docked. So I can launch any VM clinking in the doc.
    The parallels desktop is also docked. When I click on the parallels desktop icon it switches to some of the running VM. Instead I want to launch control center always when clicking on parallels desktop.

Is this possible? If not, can we dock control center separately?

2. Hello, you can right click on the Parallels Desktop icon on Dock and choose the Control Center.
    Please let us know if it's not that case.

3. AkosB

AkosB Bit poster

Thanks!
    I know this (and launch this way the control center). The problem is when I click on the parallels desktop icon, parallels starts a vm, or switch to running vm etc (it is random what happens when clicking the icon). This is pointless because vm's has separate dock icons.

I found that this reported in 2018 in the forums, but the original poster got no answer from you.
    https://forum.parallels.com/threads...hen-parallels-icon-is-clicked-in-dock.343395/

Could you send this to dev team? It would be nice to bring back the old behavior or making this a configurable option.

4. It has been already escalated to the Parallels Engineering Team and once we get any updates we will let you know.

5. KaelR

KaelR Bit poster

Totally agree. There's already a separate icon for my VM, and I can click on that when I want the virtual machine. But when I click on the Parallels icon, I expect the control center to open.

6. Hello, what is your Parallels Desktop version?

7. KaelR

KaelR Bit poster

16.1.2 (49151)

8. Hello, please sorry for the delay in response.
    Could you update your Parallels Desktop to the latest build 16.1.3 and check the issue please?
    Looking forward to your reply

9. KaelR

KaelR Bit poster

Ok, I just verified that in 16.1.3, this kind of works. I verified that if the Control Center is already open (and not minimized, but being behind other windows or on a different Space is OK), then clicking the Parallels icon will activate the Control Center (and switch to its Space if it's on another Space). That's a good improvement. But if the Control Center is closed or minimized, then clicking the Parallels icon will only go to the running Virtual Machine, even though there is a separate dock icon for the virtual machine that we could have clicked on if we wanted that.

(By the way, I also noticed that continuing to click the Parallels icon will cycle between the Control Center and open VM (and presumably cycle through all open VMs if multiple are open, but I only tried with one VM running).

I think the original poster and I hoped that, when there is already another dedicated dock icon for the Virtual Machine, then clicking the Parallels dock icon would always just solely open the Control Center (even if Control Center is minimized or not open yet), and you'd have to click the dedicated Virtual Machine dock icon(s) to go to the Virtual Machine(s). But I understand that perhaps other customers have become used to clicking on the Parallels dock icon to get to their VMs, so at least this is an improvement, and it shows you're listening to your customers, so thank you very much!