Parallels 16.5.0 finally supports Kernel 5.11

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Mark Fine, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

...12 days before Fedora 34 is released. o_O

(GalaxyMaster) likes this.
  2. rojaa

rojaa Bit poster

Running Ubuntu 21.04 in dual-monitor full-screen is problematic. Turning on or off 3D-acceleration does not help. :(

3. MarkusF4

MarkusF4 Bit poster

At least no luck with Manjaro 21.01 or Garuda latest (stops to load the GUI using live media).
    Existing Kali 2021.1 stops working after I updated the client tools. Maybe that's because of the manual patch I applied before to get this running.
    Not critial since I can rebuild this pretty quick.

Currently testing PopOS latest version which seems to work well. Tools installation went well and shared folders are working as expected.
    At the moment I'll stay on the alternative software which works pretty well with all listed OS since I require my stable pentesting lab even if the performance is not as good as Parallels.

But good to see Parallels is going into the rights direction.

4. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Kernel 5.11 came out quite a while ago, but wasn't adopted by the currently active version of Fedora until the last couple of months. Kernel 5.12 will likely be released within the next month or so, although Torvalds claims it will be late "a couple of weeks", and usually follows shortly after the next version of Fedora (34) is released - which is next week!

Based on past history, Parallels likely won't support 5.12 until Fall '21, when the next Parallels is released, and is many, many months after the kernel's release and adoption by all the usual Linux distributions.

This has been the pattern for several years now. That's not moving in the right direction. That's reactionary "ok... if we absolutely have to in order to keep people buying the next version" when it comes to dealing with Linux. They are all about focusing on Windows, which is easier to deal with because there are vastly fewer variations to handle.

5. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Fedora 34 (final) was released today. Biggest part id Gnome 4. Wonder if I should even try...