Unable to start Parallels services after upgrading to 16.1.0.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by PedroG5, Oct 22, 2020.

1. ChrisJ13

ChrisJ13 Bit poster

Well upgrading to 16.1.2 (49151) put me in the same position again - "Unable to start Parallels services" grrrrrrrr
    This solution worked for me, I didn't try deleting the KernelExtensionManagement folder, but that's something to look forward to trying next time I do a Parallels upgrade.
    WHY IS THIS STILL AN ISSUE? Do Parallels management really not care about this? Seems inconceivable but apparently this is the case.

2. RalleSPS

RalleSPS Bit poster

I fixed it with this method.
    Easiest way, start mac from an extern drive and delete the /private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagementin.
    Then restart from intern drive and all works fine!

micdim likes this.
  3. PaoloT2

PaoloT2 Junior Member

I have the same problem. Trying to install Parallels Desktop 16 on Mac High Sierra, and get the "Unable to start services" message. Developer ID "4C6364ACXT" already appears in the list of allowed teams. I hope this can be solved without having to manually edit the system, as described in this thread.

Paolo

4. PaoloT2

PaoloT2 Junior Member

I've tried to at least explore the solution suggesting to delete the "/private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagementin" folder. Looking into it with the "ls -a" command, I see there is only an empty "Staging" folder.

As of now, I would prefer not to touch it, to avoid doing damages to other apps (maybe there is some license file hidden there?).

Paolo

5. ChrisJ13

ChrisJ13 Bit poster

OMFG - I just bit the bullet to upgrade to 16.5.0 (on Mojave) after ignoring the nags for a few months, and it worked without a hitch! Thanks to the engineering team if you have now fixed this incredibly time-wasting bug in the installer

6. PaoloT2

PaoloT2 Junior Member

For the record, I can't start v16.5.0, but on High Sierra.

Paolo

7. PaoloT2

PaoloT2 Junior Member

I had to discover that after trying to install Parallels Desktop 16.5 in High Sierra, not only it couldn't complete installation. It also made other software (VirtualBox, Karabiner Elements) no longer works, since their kernel extensions are not loaded.

I forgot this had happened with the demo, and I had to reinstall High Sierra and the subsequent security updates to make them work again. The installer should have triggered some stupid security flag in the Mac, and as far as I could discover there is no other way to force the kernel extension load without reinstallling the OS.

Paolo

8. PaoloT2

PaoloT2 Junior Member

I've solved the issue with kexts not loading. I assembled my solution by following both this thread:

https://github.com/pqrs-org/Karabiner-Elements/issues/2373

and this one:

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=84092&p=500586#p500586

In summary:

Either run these commands in the Terminal:

-------------------------------
    # chflags restricted /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement
    # chflags restricted /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement/Staging
    -------------------------------

Or manually trash the full "/Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement" folder. The system immediately recreates it, this time with the right "restricted" flag.

To empty the Recycle bin you have then to reboot in Recovery mode (Cmd-R), go to the Terminal, type "csrutil disable" and "reboot". When the Finder reappears, empty the bin. Then restart again in Recovery mode, go to the Terminal, type "csrutil enable" and "reboot".

All done!

Paolo