Is audio supported for Linux guest?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by DaveR6, Apr 17, 2021.

1. inkognitive

inkognitive Bit poster

That is actually ingenious, SantiagoG. Works fine with my Kali installation. Thank you for sharing!

Just to add a few commands that might help when getting the right UPs:

In order to get your Mac IP to input in /etc/pulse/client.conf:

Code:
    ipconfig getifaddr en0
    In order to get your host Linux IP to input into /opt/homebrew/etc/pulse/default.pa:

Code:
    hostname -I

SantiagoG1 likes this.
  2. GustavoN1

GustavoN1 Junior Member

@SantiagoG1 that's a great idea! I didn't know PA worked on Mac OS, that's good to know. I wonder if the same applies to pipewire, but I guess that's a concern that'll take a while to be relevant I guess as most apps are using pipewire through the PA interface anyway.

BonazziR likes this.
  3. SantiagoG1

SantiagoG1 Bit poster

That sounds quite interesting, I didn't know about pipewire but reading a bit about it I'm actually curious about the video part.

I guess if you can compile it on Mac you could use it as a service in the same way, but how would you launch the apps for video to run natively on MacOS? SSH?

I'll read more about it to try to understand the concept, it sounds very interesting

4. IliaD

IliaD Bit poster

Снимок экрана 2021-07-19 в 09.52.39.png
    Still no progress on this issue? Is there any news from parallels? Are they planning to fix this?
    Luckily I'm on the evaluation and didn't pay for product :)

5. helpdesk.ie.a

helpdesk.ie.a Bit poster

Wonderful! working with Debian 10 .

6. BonazziR

BonazziR Bit poster

Hi IliaD
    No, unfortunately they haven't solved the problem yet. I had sent data (requested by Maria @ Parallels in April 2021) they wanted to analyze the problem, but at the moment there is no fix.

IliaD likes this.
  7. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Audio for linux guest on M1 Mac will be supported in upcoming Parallels Desktop 17

helpdesk.ie.a and BonazziR like this.
  8. IliaD

IliaD Bit poster

When do you planning to drop beta version?

helpdesk.ie.a and BonazziR like this.
  9. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Well... dates are painful topic to discuss. Generally it is strictly prohibited to say anything until official information is published.
    The Parallels Desktop 17 was released yesterday. It has sound support for Linux guest.

helpdesk.ie.a and SantiagoG1 like this.
  10. MaxA4

MaxA4 Bit poster

Reboot and voilá.[/QUOTE]

@SantiagoG1 @inkognitive Some very clever hacking here! I spent the better part of today trying to duplicate this on my M1 Macair running Kali Linux (5.10.0-kali9-arm64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.46-4kali1 (2021-08-09)). I learned about 100 ways that don't work but not one that did. I must have repeated your instructions a dozen times, with many trips to the Google weeds chasing one error code rabbit hole after the other (standard). In the interests of being brief and efficient please tell me what you'd like to see to set me straight?
    Relevant part of my /opt/homebrew/etc/pulse/default.pa on my mac:
    Code:
    ### Network access (may be configured with paprefs, so leave this commented
    ### here if you plan to use paprefs)
    load-module module-esound-protocol-tcp auth=anonymous=1
    load-module module-native-protocol-tcp auth-ip-acl=127.0.0.1;10.211.55.0/24
    From my mac terminal, nmap -p4713 10.211.55.0/24 shows port 4713 is open with pulse audio as the service, at IP:10.211.55.2
    Pointing the default.pa to 10.211.55.2 or 10.211.55.8 results in the same outcome: no workie.

This is the relevant code in the /etc/pulse/client.conf file in Linux:
    Code:
    ; default-sink =
    ; default-source =
      default-server = tcp:192.168.0.61
    ; default-dbus-server =

; autospawn = yes
    ; daemon-binary = /usr/bin/pulseaudio
    ; extra-arguments = --log-target=syslog

; cookie-file =

; enable-shm = yes
    ; shm-size-bytes = 0 # setting this 0 will use the system-default, usually 64 MiB

; auto-connect-localhost = yes
    ; auto-connect-display = yes

Attached Files:

11. MaxA4

MaxA4 Bit poster

example.png
    After the better part of 2 days of smashing my head on the screen with all of pulse audio's quirks and my lack of ability, I'm side-lining this effort for now. Other than this no sound issue in Kali, I'm actually quite satisfied at how snappy and otherwise bug free I've managed to get 16.5 running.