Confused as to how to move from Intel MAC Big Sur WIN 10 to new M1 with Monterey WIN 11

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Maurice8, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Maurice8

Maurice8 Bit poster

I have read dozens of posts and the release notes of Parallels 17.1, and it is still very confusing.
    I now have Windows 10 running on an Intel MAC (Parallels 17.1) that is on Big Sur
    I have a new MacBook Pro with an M1 MAX coming in the next 2 weeks that will be running Monterey. When I migrate to that machine, I am hoping my Parallels and and Windows 10 files will migrate as well. And then update to Windows 11 (I will move the Parallel's license to the new machine)

Is there a step by step to go to guide as to "what to do when" to make a conversion of the virtual machine to run on the M1? And when to upgrade to Windows 11? Am I better off upgrading the VM to 11 before moving to a new Mac?

I know that bits and pieces of the answers are buried in the many postings, however I have not been able to find a guide to achieve what I need.
    THANKS

2. JimC15

JimC15 Bit poster

Unfortunately you cannot use your current version of Windows 10 VM from an Intel Mac. You will have to start over. That is why I haven't moved to the M1 yet.

There are many items about moving to M1 Macs on the blog: https://www.parallels.com/blogs/ and in these forums.

3. Maurice8

Maurice8 Bit poster

Thanks for the very detailed response. I very much appreciate this. I think with the move to the M1, it is time to say goodby to Windows and Intel. I rarely need Windows and I am keeping the older MAC so I can look up whatever is left on the VM and move the data as needed to the MAC. I know it is not Parallels doing these limits of Windows on M1 silicon, but I wished they had been more transparent as I upgraded to 17 believing that I would be able to simply use my Windows 10 on the new machine and upgrade to 11. (probably lots of fine print I missed). Maybe in the not too distant future Microsoft will decide it is worthwhile to simplify their OS on a VM on M1 silicon. Thanks again

4. PredragS

PredragS Bit poster

Thanks a bunch Michael! Currently downloading the files. After they have been downloaded, do we load it in Parallels?

5. PredragS

PredragS Bit poster

managed to fix it! it all works like a charm. thank you for all your help - this was awesome!

6. tiger_1

tiger_1 Bit poster

Installed successfully using 22000.258 and was able to activate with Windows 10 Pro license key.
    Thanks to MichaelH63!