Windows 10 ARM Build on M1 Expiring

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by KathleenB2, Oct 26, 2021.

1. KathleenB2

KathleenB2 Junior Member

I am getting notices that the Windows 10 build I installed in Parallels 16 is about to expire on 10/31/21. I purchased a Windows 10 Pro license.
    So now what do I do? Just live with the expired build? Upgrade the Windows 10 version? If so, I am not sure of the best way to do that.

Or move to Windows 11? if so, can I upgrade the existing VM in Parallels to Windows 11 or do I have to build out a whole new VM with the Windows 11?

2. BernieU

BernieU Bit poster

Windows 11 won't help. I couldn't get Windows 10 and had to use Windows 11. Same problem with the 10/31/21 expiry. My Settings in Windows and System buttons do nothing. Seems MS has decided not to plan to support the Apple M1 (or however its worded) and I see from Parallels that they are now "crickets" on what their plan is for a potential work-around. So basically I get that Windows is not supported on the M1 and no line of sight to when it ever will be on this new hardware so I'm dead in the water. Back to pure mac on this computer. Sad.

3. BernieU

BernieU Bit poster

Thanks for responding so quickly. About 2 weeks or so ago, that last Windows insider update loaded, around time MS published removal of plans for M1 chip on Macs. That release somehow disabled the Settings and some other things, but I could still use Word/XLS/PPT and some other Apps, however unable to do upgrades. I had been successfully using Windows 11 Insider for about 2 weeks, with regular upgrades happening. I was upgraded on latest of all SW and TPM Chip was active. Then that update disabled everything. Newswires and BLOG's for support all went either to negative, or no information on fixes.

Now on to where I am today to answer your questions.
    Mac Big Sur 11.6.1; upgrading today to Monterrey. on MacBook Air M1, 2020; Chip Apple 1m 16GB memory. TPM active.
    Parallels 17.1.0 (latest version)
    Windows 11 Pro Insider Preview; ( think its Developer as it was recommended to turn on TPM a month ago ) I can't get at the data anymore to verify.
    Evaluation coy Build 22463.rs_prerelease.210917-1503

Sounds like the Insider Program / Dev Channel is the culprit based on your assessment. I can't get to the update functions or anything in Settings or System etc from the menu bars, so what is best way to get out of this and start again? I presume I now need to buy a Windows 11 if I quit the insider program, wipe out my install and start over? if so can you point me to how to wipe out the current install and start over (clean start will be best).

4. KathleenB2

KathleenB2 Junior Member

5. BernieU

BernieU Bit poster

I had used an existing Windows 10 License for WIndows 10P
    Thank you. There is a light at the end of this tunnel (I think). This will be a rainy day weekend construction job it seems to try.

6. KathleenB2

KathleenB2 Junior Member

Thanks everyone for the interesting comments and explanations.
    I am going to look into the info from MichaelH63 about turning on the TPM chip in parallels.

I am still not clear as to whether or not I can simply upgrade my Windows 10 Pro to Windows 11 without fresh install on a new VM.

7. KathleenB2

KathleenB2 Junior Member

8. Gerin

Gerin Bit poster

Hi Michael, thank you so much for your post, I was so close to getting sucked into upgrading parallels before I saw your post. Manage to turn on vTPM. Now I have manage to upgrade Windows 10 build to 11 Build. Question - what next? I should leave the insider program? tnks so much.

9. peyrolles

peyrolles Bit poster

Similar issue here.
    I have TPM but the latest update I'm getting from Windows 10 is Windows 10 build 21390.
    I also created a virtual machine with Windows 11, but although TPM is activated, it's impossible to access the settings.

10. KathleenB2

KathleenB2 Junior Member

I am running Parallels 16.5.2. I enabled the TPM chip in the configuration for my Windows 10 VM. When I go to Windows Update in Windows Control Panel, it says that my Windows is up to date. However I am still running Build 21390. Am I missing something?

11. KathleenB2

KathleenB2 Junior Member

I switched to Dev Channel and it will allow me to upgrade to Windows 11. I am nervous about doing that. Is there any reason I should not upgrade, i.e. is Parallels fully functional with Windows 11?

12. KathleenB2

KathleenB2 Junior Member

Unfortunately, both the Dev and the Beta channels only offer the Windows 11 update. Not future versions of Windows 10 :(

13. KathleenB2

KathleenB2 Junior Member

Thank you, Michael. You have been so helpful. Is it OK to just ignore the Windows 10 nagging about upgrading for a while longer until Windows 11 is a little more stable?

14. KathleenB2

KathleenB2 Junior Member

So, is there a path to upgrade the ARM version of Windows 10 to the retail/oem Windows 11? Where would I get this upgrade? We no longer need a special ARM version of Windows? Sorry for so many questions.

15. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

Like Michael said (he helped me A LOT), I also went through the 22000.194 build from UUPDUMP and allowed it to upgrade to 22000.282. It has been VERY stable (especially for Windows LOL). Keep getting the Virus updates - nothing much else. Decided just to leave it on the "retail" version and have not considered going back to the Insider Previews (though it was fun). Now for me the ball is in Microsoft's court - would love to see an ARM version of Windows 11 that I could purchase, license and activate. (Though I did purchase a Windows 11 PRO key and got the "retail" version of Windows 11 ARM to activate for all that is worth.)

16. SteveK15

SteveK15 Bit poster

So i need a version of Win 10 because of quickbooks (as it does not work on 11). I would love to leave the insiders program. So should i do a build from UUPDUMP and start from 22000.194 or can i go straight to 22000.282

17. Jacob15

Jacob15 Bit poster

@SteveK15
    Quickbooks should work fine on 11. 11 is literally a reskin of 10 so if it works on 10, it should work on 11.

18. SteveK15

SteveK15 Bit poster

Jacob15 nice call ... It did NOT work for me but i tried it before Christmas ... seems that it now works on my Win11 build. So big smiles from me.

19. SteveK15

SteveK15 Bit poster

Yes, I soon figured out that you guys were talking Win 11 after i had posted of course :(
    Thank you for the help between you and Jacob, i am now back to 11.
    I am still on the Dev channel, so i am looking to get away from that. I have a Pro license in 11 (using a 10pro key). If i do rebuild from UUPDUMP do you think i can use the same key and click on upgrade hardware??

20. SteveK15

SteveK15 Bit poster

Michael again thank you.
    I am currently enrolled in the BETA channel and i have selected "Unenroll this device when the next version of Windows releases"
    I am currently on Windows 11 Pro - Version 22H2 - OS Build: 22598.200. Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22598.200.0
    I am hoping to finally leave the Insiders Program !!!!