Windows 11 on Arm

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by kundanno, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Been doing some catchup and re-reading and think the build I was thinking of when I wrote the above was a minor perturbation. I have the impression that the Insider options are now working, though since I made a fresh Windows 11 release VM I have been out of touch with the Insider programme. Apologies if I misled.

2. PK3GLY

PK3GLY Bit poster

I installed Win 11 Insider Edition and was able to activate it with a youtube video related to misguides. It was fairly simple, although the server was busy and it took a few attempts to finally activate. Since then, I have spoken to Parallels tech support, and surprisingly, they have no information as to the status of Win 11 Insider Edition (can it be activated, should it be activated, and if so, can you use a Win 10 product key to do so). It is really surprising that Parallels is not more definite about this issue considering if Windows doesn't work properly, there is no need for Parallels!

I tried to to install the Windows 11 release per the instructions with uup, but when the terminal windows opens and asks to hit any key, the terminal window disappears and nothing else happens.

Going forward, do we know if the Insider Edition (which says "evaluation copy" on the bottom right hand side) will eventually be updated through Windows Update to a release version where you will be able to activate with a proper Win 10 product key?

3. PK3GLY

PK3GLY Bit poster

Regarding the Insider Edition updates and the release version: if I want to have a release version installed, does that exist for M1 computers? If not yet, when a release version become available and is compatible with M1, would I have to uninstall the insider and install the release version (since you stated that the Insider would never update to release)?

4. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

You can install the release version Windows 11 ARM on M1 Mac VMs. You have to get it from uupdump.net

5. PK3GLY

PK3GLY Bit poster

And can this version be activated with a Win 10 Pro product key?

6. Federico10

Federico10 Junior Member

Hi.
    MacBook Pro 16" with M1Pro.
    I follow the instruction in this post but the one with the Mac instruction but doesn't work so I came back to the windows solution - I have parallels with the insider preview installed and I built the windows 11 home ARM64 iso. I have a couple of question that I don't understand:
    1) This ISO is the "final" version of the stable release and it will be updated from now on?
    2) Which license I have to buy in order to activate the product (retail, VL, CD key etc etc)
    3) Can I buy the windows 10 home serial in order to activate, so I can save money?
    4) In this way I can forget about the installed version under parallels and I can use the damn 2 software that doesn't exits on Mac?
    5) Is there something that I forget please tell me.
    6) where can I get the license at low price , for the Italian version?

Thanks

7. Federico10

Federico10 Junior Member

1) 22000.220. So ok.
    2) I have only a windows 7 home serial. I'll try but I doubt that work.
    3) ok
    4) ok
    6) I found a website that sell OEM license, Retail CDKey license or standard license. Which one? Very low price but for windows 10 home serial.

8. nsayer

nsayer Member

Personally, I would be shocked if Parallels weren't at least trying to negotiate the right to be an ARM Windows "OEM" so they could sell licenses for Parallels users.
    I can't imagine why Microsoft would not want that business unless they were being pressured one way or another by their other OEM customers to exclude Parallels and by extension Apple's customer base. Such pressure would almost certainly be a violation of anti-competitive behavior laws, but it's not like Microsoft has never been accused of that sort of thing before.

Mike Boreham likes this.
  9. Federico10

Federico10 Junior Member

Everything's works.
    The Windows 7 home license from an old laptop works like a charm.

When I reinstalled Monterey and again parallels and windows it doesn't activate. But I manage to with "I have new hardware" option.

Perfect.

Now I have problems with the software I use under windows. I move to another section of the form. Thanks very much for your help.

10. DanP9

DanP9 Bit poster

just installed the release version of Win 11 ARM on Parallels. Seems to be WAY slower than the insider preview version that shows a much later build version as well. x64 apps are running much faster in the insider preview version for some reason. IMHO - stick with the insider preview if you are running legacy x86/64 apps.

11. WZ_1

WZ_1 Junior Member

I just installed windows 11 arm64 22000.282 but found its x86/x64 emulation performance kind of lacking. May I know what is your insider preview version number?

12. RomanC5

RomanC5 Bit poster

I'm not able to get Adobe Reader to work after install on Win 11 - it just freezes everytime.

13. KC21

KC21 Bit poster

Hi Everyone,
    Recently got a Macbook Air M1 and would really need a way to use the Netflix app from Windows 11 for offline downloads and playback.
    Is this currently possible with Parallels 17 and Windows 11 ARM?
    Really need a confirmation of this before paying for the subscription.
    Thank you!

14. RolandoN1

RolandoN1 Bit poster

I just installed Netflix to see how it works. It's buggy at best. It crashed a couple of times, I got a 'whoop something went wrong' message and the main screen is filtered in red for some reason. Can you use the web version of Netflix? But maybe the web version doesn't allow for offline download? Maybe save your movies to USB to watch later.

Attached Files:

15. MikeH27

MikeH27 Junior Member

Netflix installs, but the VM doesn't appear to support whatever garbage DRM Netflix is trying to use for playback.

16. RalphB6

RalphB6 Bit poster

Yes, it does work on my M1 MBP with Win11.

17. Nikita11

Nikita11 Bit poster

Hello everyone! Does anyone have experience installing drivers for guardant electronic security keys? I have an error 0xE0000235 when installing on Windows 11 Arm on M1. Has anyone encountered it? is there a solution?

18. BAMR

BAMR Junior Member

I've now got the standard release of Windows 11 running on the latest version of Parallels. Unfortunately I seem to have an issue where networking stops working. I've tried the different modes in the VM settings and it seems to work for a short while before stopping.

Is it just me, am I missing something really simple here?

19. BAMR

BAMR Junior Member

Thanks, will give that a go. My search skills clearly aren't what they used to be!

20. Nikita11

Nikita11 Bit poster

Thanks, but there aren't such drivers ...