Parallels Desktop 17.1 (51516) seems to have broken USB on Windows 11 ARM

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by ChrisP28, Oct 20, 2021.

1. ChrisP28

ChrisP28 Bit poster

I've been using v17.0 without a problem but today Parallels updated to 17.1 (51516) and my USB connections in my Windows 11 VM have stopped working properly.
    Specifically, when I connect my Android devices to my Mac (USB-C cable) and connect them to the VM (through the Devices menu) I see the USB device icon in the Windows taskbar appear then instantly disappear. It does this repeatedly until I unplug the device.
    Windows doesn't recognise the device, nor do my development tools as it doesn't stay connected long enough.
    I've tried different cables and Android devices but all do the same thing (continuously connect and disconnect).
    I've restarted the VM several times, and restarted my MacBook - no difference.
    I've re-installed the Parallels Tools in the VM - no difference.
    I have a Macbook M1 ARM with a Windows 11 ARM (insider build) VM.

This has stopped me being able to do any development with Android so a huge issue for me.
    Has anyone else experienced thing problem and/or know of a workaround?
    I'd revert back to 17.0 but understand that the vTPM change has encrypted the VM image so I don't know if this is even possible anymore?

2. Gizmo-XL

Gizmo-XL Bit poster

I've been using V17.0 on my Mac mini 2018 Intel without a problem also but after updating to Version 17.1.0 (51516) I am now having issue with my Prolific USB com port. Windows 10 VM and Parallels see the port but it just does not work anymore.
    I use my Windows VM for my ham radio software and rig control. One or the applications is Yaesu Wires-X and it requires the Prolific driver com port to allow me to connect my radio right after the upgrade things stopped working.

3. PaulA2

PaulA2 Member

For your ports issue, go to https://kb.parallels.com/6318

Once you get the Serial Port added (this wasn't necessary in v16 and prior Parallels) you may need to play with it on a use by use and boot by boot basis, sometimes even trying to reselct the Prolific in VM hardware config with the VM running because it will want to revert to Bluetooth as that is abuilt into the Mac.

Paul

4. ZhenchengF

ZhenchengF Bit poster

Hi Bro,

I met the same problem on my Intel Macbook Pro 2018.

Paralles version is Version 17.1.0 (51516)

When I opened USB debug on my Android device and connected it to Windows 10 on Paralles, it will keep connect and disconnect.

I haven't got the method to solve this problem.

5. lonecoder

lonecoder Bit poster

I have same problem on x86 Mac after installing 17.1.

Installing 17.0.1 (51482) allowed my USB-Serial devices to work again.

I did not try adding them add Serial devices in the hardware menu.

6. PaulA2

PaulA2 Member

I linked this post to my support ticket I opened the other day.

Paul

7. lonecoder

lonecoder Bit poster

Paul,
    Thanks for the link, that is helpful for more 'fixed' ports - but I need ad-hoc serial ports used on many VMs - so that option will not work for me.
    The 17.0.1 behaviour worked fine for my uses. Others may find the same.

8. PaulA2

PaulA2 Member

I think for things like Prolific, you need to NOT ALLOW the connection to Parallels, and instead plug the adapter in first, select it in the drop down, and then start your Windows for it to show.

Paul

9. lonecoder

lonecoder Bit poster

Understood, that's good to know.

10. AndreasK35

AndreasK35 Bit poster

For me, connecting a USB Keyboard directly to a (fresh Win 11 ARM) VM simply does no longer work with 17.1. No error message is shown. Independent of connecting it using the menu or the preassignement, the keyboard is no longer working in Windows or macOS (host). It works fine without Parallels.

11. UlrikZ

UlrikZ Bit poster

Same here, after updating to 17.1 I can no longer connect my Pixel 4 to Windows 10. As soon as I select it to be connected to Windows, it disappears from the USB devices dropdown, and it never shows up in Windows. Worked fine in 17.0. The Pixel 4 (and cable) is ok, it can be connected to my other Windows laptop.
    Tried with a USB memory stick also, but that works fine even in 17.1, so it is not all USB devices that are affected.

12. SharnB

SharnB Bit poster

I upgraded to v17 last night and I can confirm I cannot use my Xbox One controller when connected via USB (not having any luck via BT either), but with v16 it works fine as I reinstall v16 and it started working when connected via USB without any issues.

13. FrancoisM3

FrancoisM3 Bit poster

V17.1 Same issue with pixel phone and Macbook pro 2018. It shows in the Mac devices but won't mount in windows when selected, then disappears altogether from the proposed peripheral in the VM devices.

14. lonecoder

lonecoder Bit poster

Sadly the alternative method posted by PaulA2 (https://kb.parallels.com/6318) doesn't work in 17.1 (51516) either for me!
    This method works fine in 17.0.1 (51482)

15. lonecoder

lonecoder Bit poster

16. FrancoisM3

FrancoisM3 Bit poster

17.0.1 is the solution for now. I see my android devices OK in that version after downgrading from 17.1

17. DerikD

DerikD Bit poster

Parallels team now has a knowledge base article on this issue. The link below includes details about how to get notified of a fix, and how to downgrade to 17.0.1 in the mean time.
    https://kb.parallels.com/en/128608

18. McallenT@P

McallenT@P Parallels Team

Hello @DerikD,
    Uninstall Parallels Desktop and download and install Parallels Desktop again and when asked if you want to download and install the latest version, click no, use current.
    Thanks,
    Parallels Team.

19. zhangzj

zhangzj Bit poster

I found no software update this month. Is this problem solved in the next version?

20. zhangzj

zhangzj Bit poster

Hearing this news, I immediately updated to the latest version. But I'm disappointed that the connection problem of Android devices still exists. Have your problems been solved?