Windows 11 login loop

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by StephenF14, Nov 17, 2021.

1. StephenF14

StephenF14 Bit poster

My Mac went into sleep most last night with parallels open and now when I try to log into windows (its never had me ever login before its always done it automatically) it asks for a password, I type in my Microsoft account password and it then goes back to same sign up screen. I click sign in again and it starts this process over. Ive reset the computer, the vm, windows itself and it always brings me back to this screen when it never did before.

Anyone have any ideas?

Process:

Turn on Parallels
    Brings up windows log in screen with time and blue background
    Click the screen
    Brings up my name Login name with "Sign In' below
    Click sign in and it brings up an external windows called "Microsoft Account" asking me to put in my password
    Type in password, hit sign in
    Brings me back to a sign in screen but with "New User" and "Username" options
    Click sign in and process start from the beginning

In the past week I've used parallels I never once saw this login screen, I would always turn on parallels from my Mac and I would be logged in, no need for username or password.

Thanks for the help guys hopefully its something easy!

2. JamesR47

JamesR47 Bit poster

I'm also having this problem anyone out there have a solution? Also windows store is not installed in the ARM version and not sure how to get it in there.

3. GampaA@P

GampaA@P Pro

Hello @StephenF14 , Please try to reset the VM and check. Thanks, Parallels Team.

4. JamesR47

JamesR47 Bit poster

I've reset, reinstalled the os and parallels as well this issue is still happening i have a support ticket in.

5. WilliamR17

WilliamR17 Bit poster

I am having the same issue. I am trying out the Parallels trial. Started out with a fresh install of Windows 11 and everything worked fine. Then right after the Windows update I am unable to login. Tried it again with a fresh install and this happens again.

6. SteveS42

SteveS42 Bit poster

Oh Thank GOD its not me! Please help, parallels team! I tried this but it did not work for me...

7. SteveS42

SteveS42 Bit poster

Open power shell as an administrator and type:
    wsreset -i

8. JamesR47

JamesR47 Bit poster

Hey there Steve how can I do that if I can't login? I appreciate your help with that answer but really don't know how to do it from the login screen.

9. SteveS42

SteveS42 Bit poster

Yes I know... once you've resolved the login issue of course you can do this.

10. JamesR47

JamesR47 Bit poster

I have a callback from parallels tonight at 9 to discuss this problem. I had a ticket in for a week and i'm so glad they are getting back to me :) I'll post any relevant info here.

WilliamR17 likes this.
  11. SteveS42

SteveS42 Bit poster

T H A N K Y O U ! ! ! ! Please keep us posted.

12. JamesR47

JamesR47 Bit poster

the problem was trying to activate with my home license it basically put the preview version into a loop if you get a pro version it won't do it when you try to activate. Hope this helps!

WilliamR17 likes this.
  13. SteveS42

SteveS42 Bit poster

Ok you want your mind blown right now? Here I go: I connected my MS account to my local user account to activate W11 Pro, and I had to reboot to look after some updates and I'm stuck in a loop now. So I can't log into the thing in order to be able to activate my damned W11 Pro license!!!

14. JamesR47

JamesR47 Bit poster

that's crazy! After an hour long remote session she told me i could buy a pro license and it would work now that I know you are having problems no way am I going to do that! She said when the final version comes out they will support home and pro but because it's not done yet to just use the pre-release version with out activation.

15. Jose21

Jose21 Bit poster

Hi James,
    Am I reading this right? If you try to activate with a Pro (Windows 10 Pro for example) license, then it will put the Windows 11 preview version into the login loop?

I'm facing the same problem - activated successfully with my Windows 10 Pro license but I can't get past the login screen.

16. JamesR47

JamesR47 Bit poster

Hello Jose21! Ok from what I'm seeing here and what i did in my remote session the problem is activation. She kept telling me that windows 11 isn't finished and parallels only supports this ARM version due to our M1 processors.

So I tried to activate not knowing my home license which wouldn't work with her on the phone and she saw what happened. She then told me that if I purchased a pro license that it should activate but according to both SteveS42 and yourself the whole problem resides in activation because that's when we all seem to be stuck in a loop.

She told me to continue to use the ARM version unregistered until M.S. is done with Windows 11 and Parallels can have it working 100%. I'm not a fan of this solution as you can't customize much in windows 11 and other features seem blocked. But it's the best we could do and after that hour long screen share and rebuild of the O.S. in parallels about 3 times it always hung upon activation.

I truly hope this helps clarify what i was trying to say. :)

Jose21 likes this.
  17. Jose21

Jose21 Bit poster

Thank you for the clarification!
    I agree, it's not the most helpful solution. But it's good to at least have some sort of answer for the time being. Re-installing the OS a couple times whenever I'd get stuck in the loop was definitely a pain. Hopefully someone comes up with a solution :)

For reference, my process was identical to yours. Here I outline my steps before reaching that login loop:

Pre-process:
    - Installed Windows 11 VM (Version: Windows11_InsiderPreview_Client_ARM64_en-us_22499.vhdx)
    - Windows 11 boots up
    - Installed latest windows updates
    - set local account password for the first time (Parallels auto-creates my account, but with no password)
    - Restart VM, I'm able to log in with a local account password just fine
    - Parallels Tools gets installed, again Restart VM
    - Go to activate Windows in settings
    -- Click on 'Troubleshoot' on activation menu
    -- Click on 'I changed hardware recently'
    -- Asks for my Microsoft login and finds my valid license to activate.
    - Once activated, I either Lock Windows, or do a restart, and now I face the same process you did below:

Process:
    Turn on Parallels
    Brings up windows log in screen with time and blue background
    Click the screen
    Brings up my name Login name with "Sign In' below
    Click sign in and it brings up an external windows called "Microsoft Account" asking me to put in my password
    Type in password, hit sign in
    Brings me back to a sign in screen but with "New User" and "Username" options
    Click sign in and process start from the beginning (Login Loop)

18. JamesR47

JamesR47 Bit poster

Just thought I'd share the final email follow-up I got from parallels but it doesn't cover what I mentioned about the licensing being the screw up factor:

"Hello James,
    Thank you for contacting Parallels Support.
    This email is with regards to your issue with Windows 11 virtual machine.
    During the call, we had tried the basic troubleshooting steps and since the previous virtual machine could not accessed, we had to create a new virtual machine to resolve the issue.
    The previous virtual machine might have has any misconfiguration or corrupted files or updates for this to happen, so if you would wish to remove the previous virtual machine, please refer to https://kb.parallels.com/5029 for reference.
    If you have any more questions with regard to this issue, please feel free to write back to us. We will be happy to help you.
    Thank you for contacting Parallels support, have a nice day.
    Thanks,
    --
    Lydia Mary
    Customer Support"

Jose21 likes this.
  19. AndreaB19

AndreaB19 Bit poster

Sorry, i have the same problem, any news for what we need to do to resolve the issue??

20. mcored

mcored Junior Member

I am also having this problem. With a few minutes of inactivity, or after some time, Windows 11 keeps going to lock screen. I have made sure in Windows 11 Settings that after screen saver is stopped, never to go to lock screen. It still happens?