Parallels malfunctions after Windows 10 cumulative update KB5007186?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MichaelP79, Nov 12, 2021.

1. MichaelP79

MichaelP79 Bit poster

I have the latest version of Parallels Desktop for Mac on a 2019 iMac and have installed a Windows 10 Professional VM. It has worked fine until recently. Now, however, whenever Windows tries to update with the "2021-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5007186)," the VM stops functioning. After rebooting, the desktop simply flashes on and off (between a half-baked version of the normal desktop and a black screen) and appears to be stuck in some sort of loop with something running in the background that causes a continuous pinning wheel (in the area of the cursor). I have worked with Parallels support and, yesterday, even had a remote session with them, and this issue is still unresolved. They say it is a Microsoft issue and that I should simply reload a previously working pre-Update Snapshot (which I have) and disable Windows Update. Frankly, this doesn't sound logical or correct. Has anyone else had this experience with Parallels? To me, even if this is a Microsoft issue, Parallels should either know what the bug is or should be adapting their software to take account of the problem with the update.

2. GampaA@P

GampaA@P Pro

Hello @MichaelP79 , for black screen issue , please re-install tools by following the KB article https://kb.parallels.com/8969 , if you are unable to upgrade to Windows 11 , please create new Windows 11 VM. If the issue still persist please let us know. Thanks, Parallels Team.

3. MichaelP79

MichaelP79 Bit poster

Tools has already been reinstalled -- twice. That made no difference. Not sure why you are mentioning Windows 11. I am not ready to upgrade yet. I am simply trying to have Windows 10 carry out this update without breaking the VM.

4. MichaelP79

MichaelP79 Bit poster

UPDATE: My problem still exists, even with the recent update to Parallels/Tools. Clearly, this is a service/tech support failure with no workable solutions provided by the company. I'm not. programmer, but the idea that it's a Microsoft fault rather than a Parallels fault when a Windows 10 cumulative update causes a Parallels VM to break seems odd/illogical to me. This seems especially true since I've tried using Parallels after two different Windows 10 cumulative update versions (I paused the Windows update schedule for several weeks) and both updates cause the same malfunction.

5. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hi, please create a support ticket https://kb.parallels.com/6571for the issue. Then collect technical report, a guest memory dump and send it to that ticket so that we can investigate further and help you out. Mention the 9 digit technical report id on that ticket. Please follow https://kb.parallels.com/9058 for sending technical report.

6. MichaelP79

MichaelP79 Bit poster

The support ticket has been created: Ticket #3177007

7. MichaelP79

MichaelP79 Bit poster

Latest update: I received no help whatsoever from a second technical support remote assistance call this week. The only suggestion they had was to call Microsoft or to simply keep postponing the Windows 10 update process (forever?).

So basically, I had multiple Parallels support tickets stretching back to October 2021, multiple Parallels reinstall attempts, and two Parallels technical support remote assistance calls that basically achieved nothing.

For those who are interested, I finally tried an approach I found from Googling around that appears to have fixed the issue: I reinstalled Windows 10 in my vw using a Windows 10 ISO image file and chose the option to keep all files, apps and settings (after which Parallels Tools automatically reinstalled itself). My Windows 10 vm is now fully up to date and working perfectly.