Google Drive App Fails to Install

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by ShawnE1, Nov 20, 2021.

1. ShawnE1

ShawnE1 Bit poster

I recently purchased an MacBook Pro with a M1 Pro chip, I was able to set up a window 11 arm virtual machine, and it is mostly running well. However, I am not able to install the Google Drive Desktop App. I used edge to locate and download the latest version of the application, but it fails to install. I am wondering if I have something set up incorrectly, or if I need to wait for Google to identify and fix this bug. Google searches don't turn up anything on point, which makes me think this is not an issue many people are having. Any related information would be greatly appreciated.

2. PeterL45

PeterL45 Bit poster

I have the same issue!! I got it downloaded, but it "failed to install"

3. PeterL45

PeterL45 Bit poster

I have the M1 14" running Monterey. Same thing, windows 11 works fine; however, I tried downloading google drive and it doesn't work. I shut off all virus protection/firewalls. I also ran the install as an administrator but nothing seems to work. My VM is running windows 11. I wonder if Parallels is preventing the download or if it's Google Drive incompatibility...should I be downgrading to windows 10.

4. PeterL45

PeterL45 Bit poster

Ok thanks. I ended up just uninstalling Parallels because there doesn't seem to be an immediate fix regarding the google drive issue.

5. TimF8

TimF8 Bit poster

I get the same issue on Windows 10 ARMpreview. Google Drive not does not run on the M1 ARM64 architecture for Windows.

6. SamS4

SamS4 Hunter

I run Google Drive on the Mac side, and then access the drive through the Parallels VM Configuration > Options > Sharing > Share Mac setting window.
    Works great and I don't think you'll want to run Google Drive natively under Windows since it will make copies of G-Drive files in both macOS and W11 since it will take more storage and doesn't provide any special benefit.

J__26 and MarcS26 like this.
  7. BenjaminR5

BenjaminR5 Bit poster

Thanks @SamS4. I had looked at those settings a few times, but was confused why it wouldn't work because it seemed that Windows already had access to my Mac drives. I tried it again after reading your advice, and found that I had to add Google Drive manually. Images attached show how to do that, in case others are confused.
    1. Go to Settings Gear.
    2. Go to Sharing, then Custom Folders.
    3. Go to the + button, and add your Google Drive folder from there.
    Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 10.03.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 10.05.50 AM.png

J__26, MatiasB3, SandeepP1 and 3 others like this.
  8. MarcS26

MarcS26 Bit poster

Thank you both Sam and Benjamin, I can confirm this works perfectly. The Google Drive is now visible in the Windows environment on my Mac.

9. PavS

PavS Bit poster

Thank you, this helped massively!

10. HasanA7

HasanA7 Bit poster

Thank you all for the wonderful help... Yes, I can find my files, but I still can't access the shared files via a shortcut to drive.

11. bipul

bipul

Works Perfectly! Thanks!