Excel in Windows 11 on an M1 Mac

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by NigelB5, Jan 3, 2022.

1. NigelB5

NigelB5 Bit poster

I have a M1 iMac running the latest version of Parallels 17 with the Windows 11 Insider Preview...all good so far! I wonder if anyone has installed Office (specifically Excel) as a desktop app in this environment. I'd prefer to buy a desktop version (Office 2021) rather than Office 365, but I am unsure whether there's a version of Office that will run in a Parallels / Windows 11 Insider Preview /M1 Mac environment. Has anyone made this work?

2. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

Can't answer your answer directly because I have the Office 365 subscription. I installed in on my M1 iMac first and it runs perfectly. I didn't install in on Windows 11ARM/Parallels 17 because I rarely do Office stuff on the Windows side. Also, if I don't install the Office apps in Windows - only use the online versions - it won't access documents on my hard drive (like the Office installed on the Mac side). It apparently only is set up to access documents that are stored on OneDrive. Supposedly if I actually install the actual apps on the Windows 11 installation it will allow me to avoid OneDrive. I prefer iCloud because it is easier for me access and read documents on my iMac/iPhone/iPad. Just used to it.
    But getting back to your actual question - the Web/Office 365 version works perfectly on Windows11ARM but can't talk specifically to the Desktop Office 2021 version.

NigelB5 likes this.
  3. NigelB5

NigelB5 Bit poster

That's helpful since I suspect the software we need this for would not be able to find documents on OneDrive. Thank you.

4. IanC15

IanC15 Bit poster

Hi Swandy, do you know if the ACT! CRM software will run on Parallels/Windows 11 ARM? ACT doesn't have an ARM compatible version, they just sell the software that works on intel chips But I'm wondering if once Parallels and Windows 11 ARM are installed, if it will accept an install.

5. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

If it will help, I can install Excel into my Windows11ARM VM and see if the party who who told me about not needing OneDrive.
    Sorry know nothing about that particular software.

6. NigelB5

NigelB5 Bit poster

Swandy, that's a generous offer, as it would certainly help me and Ian too, probably, if you can do it.

7. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

Ok. I did the installation but unfortunately you have to install the FULL Microsoft 365 suite. I did just to play with it. And perhaps I didn't play around long enough. I was able to open files that were stored on my iMac's hard drive but for some reason I could not edit them. Again, perhaps I missed something, just ended up deleting the entire installation and going back to the Mac installation.
    What I do find is I was able to just have Word and Excel installed on the Mac side. Perhaps - at least on the MacOS installation - you are able to pick and choose or even uninstall what you don't want afterwards, but from what I read if you have the Microsoft 365 installation in Windows it is an all or none installation.

8. GergoP

GergoP Bit poster

Hello guys! Hope someone can give me support in VBA. I'm using VBA on M1 Macbook Air via Parallels and unfortunately I can't insert image in my userform. When I click on the picture button on the properties window of the image control element (or the userform too) the load picture dialog box doesn't appear. Same issue occuring when I'm using the image activex element. Thanks in advance for the answer!

9. CallMeDblOSeven

CallMeDblOSeven Bit poster

I have spent a solid 12 hours sorting things after migrating from an Intel Mac running Catalina to an M1 Mac running Monterey. Even though Monterey required Parallels to reinstall compatible code, Parallels was unable to update or use my Windows 10 pvm, nor could it succeed in installing from an .iso or .dmg file. I eventually gave up on Parallels and, using the Monterey installer, successfully installed Word, Excel, and Powerpoint for Mac from a Microsoft 365 dmg. BTW I was impressed with the Mac versions, which seem to have caught up to their Mac counterparts a few years ago.

Even so, I fiddled a bit more with Parallels in hopes of getting MS Access too, and eventually somehow got Parallels to build a working VM for me. (I'm not sure what I did differently.) Unfortunately Access is not included in this version of Win 11 (if any). All I got for my troubles was a no-Access version of office that defies every published method I found to unlink OneDrive. Instead, it insists on downloading every file from the Microsoft Cloud into a browser, åand running it from within the browser. These browser embedded versions do look like Windows 10 versions that run within the Parallels VM.

I hate to say this, but as it stands now, and given my narrow focus on a few Microsoft productivity apps, I'm not sure where Parallels fits in this picture for me.

10. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

I found that at least the Apple versions of Office don't come with Access. I thought the Windows versions did - even though I don't believe Windows ever (or at least recently) didn't come with Office as part of the basic install.
    However when I use the Office apps (Word and Excel that I use) in Windows 11/ARM through Parallels I will get messages to upload the files to One Drive (which I don't want to switch to from Apple iCloud) so it will appear that what I get is what you saw - a web based version of the Office Apps UNLESS you actually have (1) a subscription to Microsoft Office (what is is now called) AND you actually download and installed the Office apps to your Windows installation. Without actually installing the apps you only have usage of the web versions of some of the apps.

CallMeDblOSeven likes this.
  11. Adriad

Adriad Bit poster

Hi!
    I have the same problem! I need to work with Excel in very complex files, which has VBA code and MS Access connections, and I cannot figure out how to make it works correctly so far, in my Parallels 18 - MacBook Pro M1. The MS Access connection is not allowed, also some VBA procedures returns some errors eventually.

Hope anyone knows how to help us, or Parallels updates to a new better version.

Regards
    A.