Chrome OS Flex

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by GarrettB5, Feb 16, 2022.

Tags:
  1. GarrettB5

GarrettB5 Junior Member

Google just announced Flex, which can be installed onto a bootable USB. Let's jam that thing into a VM!

MatthewR20 and oliver16 like this.
  2. MattPackwood

MattPackwood Member

Let me know when we have an image!!!!

3. AndrewS48

AndrewS48 Bit poster

4. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hey guys, please use the following instructions for setting up a Chrome OS Flex VM in Parallels Desktop 17 (on Intel-based Macs!):
    1. Open Parallels Desktop Installation Assistant.
    2. Select "Install Windows on another OS..." and click "Continue."
    3. Click "Choose Manually" > check the option "Continue without a source" and click "Continue."
    4. In the dropdown select Other > Chromium OS > click "OK".
    5. Check the option "Customize settings before installation" and click "Create."
    6. Navigate to Hardware tab > set 4096 MB of memory.
    7. Select Graphics settings on the sidebar > set "Auto" in the dropdown.
    8. Select Mouse & Keyboard on the sidebar > set the mouse option to "Optimize for games."
    9. Scroll down the sidebar with options and select Boot Order > check "External device" and move it to the top.
    10. In the dropdown "External boot device," select the USB device you have prepared.
    11. Close the configuration window and click "Continue."
    12. Always allow Parallels Desktop to access the USB device.
    PS to prepare a bootable USB device with the OS installer, use the Chromebook Recovery Utility extension for Google Chrome (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...overy-utili/pocpnlppkickgojjlmhdmidojbmbodfm/) > use "Select a model from a list" option to select Google Chrome OS Flex and proceed with burning the flash drive.

Let me know whether the instructions work for you!

5. KevinC25

KevinC25 Bit poster

Thanks, Dmitry!

I've made a few attempts to install without success on a 2017 5K iMac.

In each case, it boots from the USB drive, displays the Chrome logo, and then hangs on a white screen. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

IljaU likes this.
  6. ThijsK

ThijsK Bit poster

Thanks for that Dmitry, works perfect for me.

Dmitry@Parallels likes this.
  7. TokyoTony

TokyoTony Bit poster

Great stuff. I was able to install but the cursor is very jumpy and hard for me to use. Any ideas?

8. Dmitry@Parallels

Hey @KevinC25, would please try the following and let me know if it helps?
    1. Shut down the VM.
    2. Locate the VM in Finder > right click > Show Package Contents
    3. Open config.pvs in Text Edit
    4. Locate the video settings, and set the value in <Type></Type> to 1. Please see the attached image.
    upload_2022-2-22_19-22-4.png
    Then save & close, and start the VM. Please let me know if it helps.

9. VITEX

VITEX Bit poster

Hi there,
    thanks for this - unfortunately it doesn´t work on my 2017 iMac PRO (USB Stick: Samsung).
    It starts booting, after confirming kernel load with ok, the VM reboots.

Regards

Attached Files:

10. IljaU

IljaU Bit poster

It doesn't help for me (MacBook A1502), os load stuck on chrome logo
    Screenshot 2022-02-23 at 02.18.12.png

11. KevinC25

KevinC25 Bit poster

Hi, @Dmitry@Parallels --

I opened config.pvs as you described, set the video <type> to 1, and it still hangs on a white screen after the Chrome logo.

Removing NativeScalingInGuest_patch="" from the first <Video> block allows it to boot to the Welcome to CloudReady 2.0 screen, but I don't seem to be able to click the Get Started button on that screen.

12. KevinC25

KevinC25 Bit poster

@Dmitry@Parallels -- following up on my last post, it seems the Chromium VM isn't picking up my mouse and keyboard. I've tried each of the settings under the Mouse and Keyboard drop-down lists in the VM settings without success.

I wonder if it's possible that it's failing because I have Bluetooth mouse and keyboard on this iMac. I can try again with wired input devices.

13. KevinC25

KevinC25 Bit poster

To answer my own last speculation, the behavior is the same (freezing at "Welcome to CloudReady 2.0" screen) when a wired mouse and keyboard are connected.

14. Dmitry@Parallels

@VITEX, @IljaU, @KevinC25, guys please generate and send us technical reports when the VM is stuck booting. Click Help on the menu bar > Send Technical Data...
    Please reply with your report IDs, I will file a report to our engineers for investigation.

15. Dmitry@Parallels

@KevinC25, thanks for the confirmation. Even tabulation with the keyboard doesn't work? Doesn't mouse cursor appear when you enable "Optimize for gaming"?

16. KevinC25

KevinC25 Bit poster

@Dmitry@Parallels -- my report ID is 391466381

Tabbing with the keyboard doesn't change the focus selection on screen. A mouse pointer is displayed, but it doesn't move, and I can't click anything.

Best,
    -Kevin

17. Patrick Mast

Patrick Mast Junior Member

Does it work on a Mac with M1 processor?

18. Dmitry@Parallels

19. Dmitry@Parallels

Thanks, @KevinC25, I will pass this to engineers for investigation.

20. GunterG

GunterG Bit poster

Hi @Dmitry@Parallels !
    I would like to join in, my report ID being 391509245 - for me, the issue appears similar to the one @VITEX is experiencing: The VM boots up, shows the message "Loading vmlinuz.A... ok", and a moment later it automatically reboots.
    I may add that I have tried two different thumb drives so far. Both of them are working fine with a physical machine. Trying to boot another VM with those thumb drives within Parallels results in the same(?) boot cycle.
    Any hints are highly appreciated! Thank you very much in advance!