No Windows on ARM?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by JohnW70, Apr 17, 2022.

1. JohnW70

JohnW70 Member

One sees the following on a fairly regular basis on Apple forums:
    Question: "How can I get windows parallel [sic] on my M1?"
    Answer:
    "You can't. There is not a publicly released version of Windows for the M1 processor. Microsoft has a pre-release version of Windows ARM that may work with Parallels. But using a beta/pre-release version of an operating system should only be undertaken in a test environment. Using such a version in a production environment may result in loss of data."
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253822366
    Is this correct? It does not correspond to my experience with Windows 11 on the M1 processor since November 2021. Is there any evidence to the contrary?

2. Don Awalt

Don Awalt Hunter

There is also a lot of conversation on whether Windows 11 under Parallels is *supported* by Microsoft. Qute a number of threads indicate there is no evidence in EULAs that Microsoft supports Windows 11 on ARM. This could clearly spook companies where otherwise this could be an excellent solution - Parallels + Windows 11 on a Mac.

So what's the *proof* that this is supported (and legal) for a company/corporation that needs to see something in order to do it?

3. Don Awalt

Don Awalt Hunter

Also, one other question - even in these forums, people will say "Windows 11 is only available as an Insider Preview Edition". This also makes companies squirm I suspect. It sounds like it is a variation on "not supported", even though in my own installation I am running currently licensed Windows 11 Pro. In order to get solutions into companies, these risks must be averted. What's the answer to this statement, which shows up even here?

4. Don Awalt

Don Awalt Hunter

Thanks @MichaelH63. Maybe now that the Qualcomm agreement may be expiring, this will become more clear for the companies that won't do anything unless it's clear in black in white that they are protected by license or EULA...