Changing Parallels to Run in Virtual Machine

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JackG6, Apr 14, 2022.

1. JackG6

JackG6 Bit poster

I have just installed Parallels and am very frustrated. Apparently I accidentally installed it to "run Windows with Parallels Desktop on the Bootcamp Partition" which is not what I wanted. I want to copy Windows from my Boot Camp partition and then run Windows in a virtual machine (and still leave the Boot Camp partition in case I might need it sometime for performance reasons). Currently when I start Parallels it just jumps right into something called "My Bootcamp".

When I look at the instructions for setting it up like I want it, I'm told to go to File > New > Import Boot Camp... , but I don't get an Import option. So I can't figure out how else to do it.

Seems like running Windows in a virtual machine while also having Windows in a Boot Camp partition would be the most common way to set it up, but after reading dozens of posts and instructions, I just can't figure out how to do it. Could anyone answer this or point to me to a helpful link? Thanks in advance.

2. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, are you trying to run 2 virtual machines? One from BootCamp partition another directly under Parallels Desktop.

3. JackG6

JackG6 Bit poster

No, just one virtual machine. I don't want Parallels to do anything with my Boot Camp partition.

4. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, please refer to this KB article for installing Windows on Parallels Desktop.

5. JackG6

JackG6 Bit poster

This really didn't answer my question and my free trial runs out in 2 days, so I'm going to just give up on Parallels. Hope I can get it totally uninstalled.

6. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, we request you to create a support ticket by following this link to get assisted via remote session/call.