8Gb Limit for Parallels Mac is unreasonable in 2022

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by MaximB4, Feb 14, 2022.

1. MaximB4

MaximB4 Bit poster

Hello, I was an active user of Parallels for Mac for the last year, however, now I bought a new MacBook Pro and I find the limit of 8Gb of memory (ram + video memory combined) is absolutely unreasonable.
    I use VM mostly for gaming as many other users and 8Gb limit means I can't play any new games even with the lowest requirements. Moreover, considering how unstable Parallels for M1 and Windows 10 Insider Preview (I send crash reports all the time), upgrading to a Pro subscription is just not worth it. There are other cheaper alternatives with no limitations available and I am very disappointed in Parallels that I won't renew my subscription anymore with the current limitations.

2. MatthewR20

MatthewR20 Most valuable person

3. GampaA@P

GampaA@P Pro

Hello MaximB4, Please refer to the knowledge base article to change a virtual machine's memory (RAM) on Parallels Desktop. Thanks.

4. Johnpy

Johnpy Bit poster

I agree! 8GB is nothing! 16GB should be a minimum!
    Parallels solution is a ridiculously priced subscription. I understand having the subscription for services and updates but they lock simple necessities behind paywalls. They know 8GB is not enough so they rip you off with a one-time buy only to find that you just bought a very expensive demo. Consumers need to stop buying into this ridiculous subscription garbage for software like this. It encourages lazy development and produces a far inferior product. Consumers should only pay for updates if they need or want them. They shouldn't pay companies monthly in hopes that the product will work as intended, which it rarely ever does. I hope parallels come to their senses and raise these ridiculous limits on CPU and Memory for non-subscription customers. Until then I'm just waiting for an alternative product to run on my beast M1 machine.
    If anyone knows of any good alternatives to parallels for the 2022 M1 MacBook Pro hit me up.

5. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, we are sorry to hear that. Kindly let us know if you are facing any issue.

6. Bhargava

Bhargava Bit poster

Hello, by using Parallels Desktop Standard Edition you can assign up to 8GB of virtual RAM for each virtual machine and up to 4 CPUs whereas by purchasing Parallels Desktop Pro Edition you can assign up to 128GB of virtual RAM for each virtual machine and up to 32 CPUs. Please refer to the knowledge base article to know about the Parallels Desktop. Thanks.

7. ec_1

ec_1 Bit poster

8GB Limit for $138 product is completely unacceptable.

8. Bhargava

Bhargava Bit poster

Hello, we are sorry to hear that. Kindly let us know if you are facing any issues. Thanks.

9. JohnQ3

JohnQ3 Bit poster

It's clear that ec_1's issue (and MaximB4 as well) is that 8 gb isn't sufficient to run his software, but he's unwilling to pay $119/year for a feature that should be standard. The 8 gb limit is arbitrary and designed to force all but the most casual of users onto one of the subscription products. It's unethical and and shows a lack of respect for your paying customers on perpetual licenses.

Joe Chitrady likes this.
  10. nicovanos

nicovanos Bit poster

I totally agree with this thread. Parallels runs almost standard with 8gb of memory and is super slow. Next time I think I'll move to virtual windows offered by Microsoft.

Joe Chitrady likes this.
  11. MatthewR20

MatthewR20 Most valuable person