Windows INTEL or ARM

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by KekoS, Jun 14, 2022.

1. KekoS

KekoS Bit poster

Hello,

I have a 24" M1 iMac.
    Is it possible to install a Windows 11 with a standard INTEL non-ARM .iso with Parallels Desktop ?
    Parallels Desktop installs what by default like Windows 11 ARM or INTEL ?

Thanks in advance.

Cordially

2. KekoS

KekoS Bit poster

But can you install a Windows 11 Intel operating system on an M1 in Parallels Desktop ?
    If I understand correctly, you won't be able to install Windows Drivers.

3. KekoS

KekoS Bit poster

thank you for the information ;)

4. HarjeetS

HarjeetS Bit poster

Hi,
    I am facing the same issue.
    My main work is on windows and there are lot of tools that are required to be connected to USB. None of the drivers are now working.

Just need to know, this system is now totally unusable or is there any update or so that may happen in near future to handle drivers issue.
    Same like, applications are emulated, can't the drivers be?

Else it is going to be a total waste of money for me spent on both MacBook Pro and Parallels

5. WilliamT14

WilliamT14 Member

It was pointed out that Qualcomm with their jointly designed SQ1 and SQ2 processors with Microsoft for the Surface Pro X ARM editions, had exclusivity agreement for Windows 11 ARM.
    The point however is that it's not Apple not having any interest, but that until that exclusivity agreement expires (or may have just expired) that developing better support for Windows 11 ARM on Apple Silicon could even occur. I'm stunned with how well Parallel's has progressed even lacking that extra level of development support. I expect that this will continue to improve, but until that hardware support is provided, those use cases won't work that need those USB tools.