External drive cannot be ejected

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Nemensi, Jun 11, 2022.

1. Nemensi

Nemensi Member

After upgrading from Parallels Desktop 15.1.5 to 17.1.4, I noticed that external drives can no longer be ejected when accessed in the VM. macOS then displays a warning when ejecting that there are open references to the drive.

A downgrade to 17.0.1 did not solve the problem. Only with the installation of 16.5.1 the problem disappeared. So the bug seems to affect all 17.x versions.

To reproduce:

1) Connect an external drive and access the drive via the mapped drive letter in the VM
    2) Eject the external drive in macOS
    3) macOS shows a warning that the drive cannot be ejected
    4) sudo lsof /Volumes/Backup ('Backup' stands for volume name) shows that prl_vm_ap prevents the ejection

2. Nemensi

Nemensi Member

*bump*

3. Nemensi

Nemensi Member

Still no response from support? Is there a way to contact someone from the developer team?

4. HC_3

HC_3 Hunter

if none of the parallels people answer here, i have had good experiences writing to one in a private conversation. they are very friendly and helpful, they just seem to have a lot on their mind.

feel free to let us know here what solutions your conversation has brought, @Nemensi.

5. Kelsey1

Kelsey1 Bit poster

Same here. No solution yet? I have been force ejecting since updating.

6. Nazeemabanu@P

Nazeemabanu@P Moderator

Hello, Could you please reinstall the Parallels Tools by referring > Parallels Tools? If you have a Parallels permanent license key v17, use any one of these versions Parallels version 17.1.2 or Parallels version 17.1.4 to reinstall the Parallels Desktop and check on the issue, If you have a subscription, then kindly upgrade to Parallels version 18 and kindly update us the result for further assistance. Thanks.

7. Kelsey1

Kelsey1 Bit poster

My only options under Actions is to update parallels tools or install parallels toolbox for windows (which I can't do because I am running on Windows 7) The other option to update parallels tools will force it into test mode, which I can never turn off or windows will stop working and in test mode, Windows becomes more vulnerable to threats. I'm not doing that. This forces me to use Windows without parallels tools. There has to be an update for parallels 17 to remedy this issue. I would have never upgraded had I known.

8. Nemensi

Nemensi Member

Reinstalling the tools doesn't help. This issue exists in all 17.x versions and also in 18.0. But it only occurs if you open a subdirectory on the drive. If you only access the root folder, the drive can be ejected.

9. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

If you access a subdirectory and don't kill the process that's doing it, the OS thinks it's still in use and won't eject it. This is the same as opening a terminal window in macOS and trying to access it directly through a cd to /Volumes/<disk name>/ without killing the terminal window. I suspect this is similar to what's happening behind the scenes in Parallels.

10. Kelsey1

Kelsey1 Bit poster

I know nothing about subdirectories lol. Is there something I can do to prevent having to force eject it? I plug in an SD card via USB adapter daily.

11. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Hmmm... I think I see what's happening. If the drive is formatted for Mac, it can only be accessed if you initially connect it to Mac when asked - not to Windows. So when Parallels asks what you want to connect it to:
    1. If you select Windows, it will give you a USB icon in the Windows toolbar, but won't give you and eject option. It also won't mount it as a valid drive in Windows, so it can't be accessed.
    2. If you select Mac, it will give you an assigned drive in Windows Explorer so you can interact with it - but it won't let you eject it if you've already started interacting with it, not even after choosing 'Disconnect' from the secondary menu in Windows.
    3. If you selected Windows, the only way to get it back to Mac (or vice versa) is to go to the Parallels Devices menu and unselect (or select) the drive in the USB menu.

Looks to m like macOS still thinks Parallels is using it no matter what you do and won't let you eject it. Weird.

12. Nemensi

Nemensi Member

Finally fixed in 18.1. Thanks!

Mikhail Ushakov likes this.