Windows 11 - KB5012170 fails to install in PDM 18.0.0

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by fpmalard, Aug 10, 2022.

1. fpmalard

fpmalard Member

Grega3 likes this.
  2. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Best Answer
    Hi all!
    The issue has been addressed in Parallels Desktop 18.0.2. Please update to the latest Parallels Desktop build and check.

3. JohnW70

JohnW70 Member

First noticed this immediately following the Parallels 18 update on the 9th August. "2022-08 Security Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems (KB5012170) Install error - 0x800f0922". Usual checks and resets done. Other Windows updates happen as normal. I only see it with the Intel iMac 18,3. No problem on the M1 MacBook Air 10,1, also using Version 18.0.0 (53049) "2022-08 Security Update for Windows 11 for ARM64-based Systems (KB5012170) Successfully installed on 10/08/2022".

4. fpmalard

fpmalard Member

It seems this update changes something within boot process. There is a remark there:
    "Some original equipment manufacturer (OEM) firmware might not allow for the installation of this update."

5. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Same here under PD18. Bootlocker workaround doesn't work, because it's not operational.

Win11 System Information (msinfo.exe) run as administrator System Summary relevant info:
    BIOS Version/Date: Parallels Software International Inc. 18.0.0 (53049) 8/2/2022
    BIOS Mode: UEFI
    Secure Boot State: On
    PCR7 Configuration: Binding Possible
    Virtualization-based security: Not enabled
    Kernel DMA protection: Off
    Device Encryption Support: Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected

6. CharlieS4

CharlieS4 Member

Seeing it on a Win 10 guest with the same error, other updates installed fine. Same version of Parallels.

7. AndrewG13

AndrewG13 Bit poster

Same problem. KB5012170 error 0x800f0922 with Windows 10. No MS fixes worked: update trouble shooter, SFC, DISM. PD18. Intel MBP.

8. RobertP13

RobertP13 Junior Member

The same happen on Windows 10 Pro guest and Windows 11 Pro guest in Parallels 17.1.4

9. DoggyPiggy

DoggyPiggy Bit poster

Same thing on Parallels 17, any solution? Already tried the Windows trouble shooting tool and it's not helpful at all.

10. DavidK72

DavidK72 Bit poster

Yeah same thing happening for me. Windows 11 Pro with Parallels Desktop 18. I have gone through and ran various amounts of troubleshooting with service restarts and disabling/re-enabling things too.

But it does somewhat make me feel better knowing that I'm not the only one with this problem (even when installing via the manual msi/msu file).

11. Gimbal

Gimbal Junior Member

Same, Paralles v18 upgrade yesterday, Windows 10 Home, KB5012170 won't install, error 0x800f0922 - and it keeps trying, no way to tell it to stop or ignore that specific update.

12. MikeyH

MikeyH Hunter

13. Robert M. Münch

Robert M. Münch Bit poster

Same problem. So, looks like we need to wait for a 18.0.1 fix

14. GlennS5

GlennS5 Junior Member

I had the same problem, but fixed it with a workaround. This might not work for everyone depending on if you use the TPM or not. In my case I do not have bitlocker or anything else activated in the VM running Windows 11 that require the TPM. For some this workaround might result in a none-bootable VM, but reverting to the snapshot should solve that problem. So theoretically this workaround should not have any risk to try out as long as you remember to create a snapshot.
    Steps:
    - Create a snapshot
    - Remove TPM from the VM hardware config
    - Boot VM and install update
    - Shutdown and re-add the TPM

BradD808 and DoggyPiggy like this.
  15. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Word of caution: While removing TPM from the VM hardware config may not necessarily make your VM unbootable, it may certainly make the VM so incomprehensibly slow that it's almost impossible to do anything with. Quite frankly, I ended up stopping the VM and restored it from a backup.

Having a security update with questionable benefit that can't be applied properly is a lot less painful than the workaround for me.

16. ET14

ET14 Bit poster

I just did this on mine, and it worked. Only took a few minutes overall, with no issues. I have a very simple installation though. Thanks.

MatthewS46 likes this.
  17. JohnW70

JohnW70 Member

Just wondering why this occurred only on my Intel iMac 18,3 and not on the M1 MacBook Air 10,1. Windows Security settings seem identical. Just an Intel problem??

18. GlennS5

GlennS5 Junior Member

Are both using UEFI?

19. GlennS5

GlennS5 Junior Member

Revert to a snapshot didn't fix the problem or did you not create a snapshot?
    I didn't get any performance issues at all after this operation, but neither do I use the TPM for anything at all that should have any affect on the VM. Do you use bitlocker or any features that actually use the TPM?

20. sutepanushikind

sutepanushikind Bit poster

Did it but still got the same error, cannot install update. Windows 10 Pro btw.
    And I converted it to GPT/enabled UEFI boot and added TPM before, but never used TPM and Bitlocker is disabled.
    Maybe it means that workaround works only for Windows 11 or it may or may not work.
    And I tried to clean C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and reinstall update, still fails with 0x800f0922.

21. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

The TPM device is
    I don't use the snapshot feature because it's too slow (and frankly don't trust it). I manually copy a VM file to an external disk prior to (and after) any Parallels updates because I've been stung with messed up VMs by the install process before. I simply restored the backed up file to /Library/Parallels afterwards to bring it back to the original TPM settings. Doubtful that bitlocker is actually used on my system and the actual issue is Parallels implementation of TPM in Intel-based Parallels, given what MSInfo is reporting. Should also add that I'm doing this on an early-2013 MBP (10,1) running Catalina (10.15.7), which likely contributed to the performance issues.