Run SQL Edge through SSMS on M1?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by AlexE6, Mar 22, 2022.

1. AlexE6

AlexE6 Bit poster

Hi everyone,
    I have successfully installed Azure SQL Edge and have it up and running in a docker container on my Mac. I am able to connect to it successfully in Azure Data Studio on the Mac side of things. I also have SQL Server Management Studio up and running on my Windows 11 VM, but I cannot figure out how to connect SSMS to the SQL Edge server. Is this possible to do? I know someone mentioned using their Mac's IP, but I don't know how to do that.
    Thanks!

2. FrankS45

FrankS45

Hey did you find solution for this problem, im basically trying to do the same thing?

3. JulianH9

JulianH9 Bit poster

I just came to this forum for exactly the same thing. I hope someone can answer this as it would be a great solution for what I am trying to achieve.

4. FrankS45

FrankS45

Hey guys the I find a solution that works for me but it is not free...
    I needed sql server management studio for my university as they use Microsoft products and wanted to keep it same for learning purposes but since this does not work on m1 mac and parallels i tried azure data studio witch works but did not have that full range of functions as SSMS so I tried data grip by jet brains and i can tell it work even better than SSMS so I'm recommending it, also ask your employer or school if they can pay for jet brains products ... we have it for free from my uni.. :)

5. JulianH9

JulianH9 Bit poster

Thanks, Frank ... I have DataGrip (great tool isn't it :) ). My scenario is that I want to be able to access the DB via an API (.net, EF Core) but I can't run the db inside parallels. I have the DB running inside a Docker container in IOS on the same machine so would like to access it from Parallels. Someone on Reddit has mentioned they have a solution to do this so am waiting for feedback. I can update this thread if it comes through in case anyone else has the same / similar scenario. The production database is hosted in Azure so that's not an issue, its my local dev database that I am struggling with.

6. AndreasO6

AndreasO6 Bit poster

Hey, just started to use Parallels on my M1.
    I needed it to run MS VS 2022 for my studies so I have a W11 running there. Its pretty nice imo :)
    Anyway, just finished the setup and got docker working running locally on M1 and used Azure Data Studio on the W11.
    To connect to the sql within AZ DS, just use your local bridge ip that you have on your M1 as the server for AZ DS when its running parallels. Its working great.

7. AndreasO6

AndreasO6 Bit poster

Update: Using your local bridge ip as server on SSMS within Parallels works great too, just fyi.

8. AndreasO6

AndreasO6 Bit poster

Update 2: And from W11 MS VS 2022, use the same and it works too :)

9. kyotokay

kyotokay Bit poster

Being a total noob here, by "local bridge ip" - do you mean the actual ip adress on my M1?
    Does that mean I should setup IIS manager & hosts file using ip instead of localhost?

10. KeynerJ

KeynerJ Bit poster

Use your mac host ip address (Ex. 192.168.19.30)