Windows 11 - KB5012170 fails to install in PDM 18.0.0

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by fpmalard, Aug 10, 2022.

1. JasonV8

JasonV8 Bit poster

This worked for me... My OCD can rest easy now.

2. PC_

PC_ Bit poster

Very frustrating.
    This Windows 11 - KB5012170 update failed issue has been around for nearly 2 months and Parallels support has no solutions for legacy users.
    I paid my annual Pro subscription last week and upgraded to 18.0.1, hoping this error go away. Nope.

3. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

All of these non-sequitirs you've thrown out there might apply to installing something using Windows Installer, but don't apply to something that is done through Windows System Update. Did you just look up "installation problems" on a Windows board then copy/paste the results here?
    Saw where you recommended elsewhere to "Format Your Drive"... really? You actually thought that was a good recommendation for a known USB problem?

4. BrandonC6

BrandonC6 Bit poster

Re the dreaded 0x800f0922 error, I have a solution provided by Parallels support. It worked for me. Here are the instructions
    Please follow the below steps:
    1. Run the Virtual Machine.
    2. Create a snapshot (In the top menu, click Actions > Take Snapshot).
    3. Shut down the Virtual Machine. Make sure that the virtual machine is shut down. If it is in a suspended state, please run it and then shut down (Actions > Shut Down).
    4. Open the Virtual Machine's Configuration (https://kb.parallels.com/117287) > Hardware > then select TPM click (click the lock to prevent further changes) and then click on "-" to delete TPM chip.
    5. You will get following message:
    If you remove Trusted Platform Module, "Windows 11" may become unbootable. Are you sure you want to remove it?
    6. Click "Remove".
    7. Run the Virtual Machine.
    8. Try to update Windows.
    7. If the update is installed:
    7.1 Restart the Virtual Machine.
    7.2 Shut down the Virtual Machine. Make sure that the virtual machine is shut down. If it is in a suspended state, please run it and then shut down (Actions > Shut Down).
    7.3 Open the Virtual Machine's Configuration (https://kb.parallels.com/117287) > Hardware > then click "+" > TPM to add a new TPM chip.
    7.4 you will get following message:
    You are going to add Trusted Platform Module to "Windows 11". Do you want to continue?
    7.4 Press "Add".
    7.5 TPM chip will be added to your Virtual Machine.
    7.4 Run the Virtual Machine.

5. JohnW70

JohnW70 Member

6. JohnW70

JohnW70 Member

[My reply stuck in edited quote]
    This is now the third time they have appeared on this thread. I tried this the first time they appeared, three attempts on my Intel Mac, not needed on M1. No obvious effect. It is not a "dreaded" error but rather trivial. I am choosing to ignore it.

Mark Fine likes this.
  7. RHS

RHS Hunter

This workaround worked just fine for me. I hope I don't have to do this for every Windows update.

8. sutepanushikind

sutepanushikind Bit poster

What about Windows 10? still cannot install KB5012170 EVEN after removing TPM(I don't need TPM at all, just need to install an update and make it stop showing same error several times a day:mad:).

9. Eduardo

Eduardo Junior Member

Problem solved
    I have THE solution. No guarantees are given, but I'm quite confident that this will solve the issue, at the very least, on Windows 11 virtual machines, and, presumably, in qualifying earlier versions of Windows as well. This is what I did.
    1. Shut down the Windows virtual machine.
    2. Within the Parallels Desktop Control Center, locate your Windows virtual machine Configuration (cog icon). Select Hardware. If you see a "TPM Chip", remove it.
    3. Using Finder, locate your Windows virtual machine (.pvm extension). Right-click it and select Show Package Contents.
    4. In the new window or tab, right-click on config.pvs, choose Open With and select TextEdit.
    5. In TextEdit, search for "<EfiSecureBoot>". Presumably, a non-zero value will be displayed immediately to its right. Replace that value with a zero. Save the altered config.pvs.
    6. Start your Windows virtual machine. It will probably take longer than usual.
    7. Cause Windows to check for software updates. KB5012170 will be one of the updates being offered. Install it. It will succeed.
    8. Shut down your Windows VM.
    9. If you removed a TPM Chip in step 2, reverse that action. In other words, add a "TPM Chip" to your virtual machine configuration.
    10. Re-open config.pvs using TextEdit, search for "<EfiSecureBoot>" and replace whatever number is to its right with "1" (without the quotation marks). Save the file and quit TextEdit.
    11. Launch your Windows VM.
    12. Done. KB5012170 will appear among the installed updates if you choose to display the Update history.
    Unfortunately, this doesn't solve the Core isolation Memory integrity issue.

sutepanushikind likes this.
  10. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

This worked... Turning EfiSecureBoot off seems to make a significant difference in performance once the TPM Chip is removed, which now that I think about it makes a ton of sense.

Only thing I'd recommend adding is to first boot into the VM and unhide the update if you've previously hidden it, then shut down the VM. This way if it's still dirt slow you won't have to go through the agonizing process of unhiding it while it's in that condition.

11. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Oh, and always be sure to back up your VM prior to doing anything in case it gets corrupted... almost forgot.

12. JohnW70

JohnW70 Member

Thanks to Eduardo for a useful suggestion. It didn't work for me, perhaps because the EFISecureBoot in config.pvs already had a zero to the right. I don't understand that, as Device Security had indicated Secure Boot was working. (Looking on the M1 Mac where the update went through on the 8th August, the figure is 2.) I have gone back to hiding the update, but at least I learned something useful.

13. Eduardo

Eduardo Junior Member

Sorry it didn't work for you. My "discovery" was made on an old Mac Pro 5,1 running Monterey 12.1.5 via OpenCore. I guess my suggestion may well be null and void for Apple Silicon Macs.

14. JohnW70

JohnW70 Member

So far as I can see, it seems never to have been a problem for Silicon Macs, unless others have found it so. Where it persists for me is on a 2017 27-inch iMac 18,3 Monrerey 12.5.1.

15. sutepanushikind

sutepanushikind Bit poster

It worked on Windows 10. Update successfully installed. Thanks!

16. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Best Answer
    Hi all!
    The issue has been addressed in Parallels Desktop 18.0.2. Please update to the latest Parallels Desktop build and check.

17. DarrellP1

DarrellP1 Bit poster

Thank you! I've been fighting with this for several weeks and the 18.0.2 update did indeed fix it.

18. JohnW70

JohnW70 Member

Perfect. Many thanks.

19. Alexh32

Alexh32 Bit poster

n't use the snapshot feature because it's too slow (and frankly don't trust it). I manually copy a VM file to an external disk prior to (and after) any Parallels updates because I've been stung with messed up VMs by the install process before. I simply restored the backed up file to /Library/Parallels afterwards to bring it back to the original TPM settings. Doubtful that bitlocker is actually used on my system and the actual issue is Parallels implementation of TPM in Intel-based Parallels, given what MSInfo is reporting. Should also add that I'm doing this on an early-2013 MBP (10,1) running Catalina (10.15.7), which likely contributed to the performance issues.

20. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

I can ditto everything you've just said, right down to the early-2013 running Catalina. Eliminating the TPM Chip in the configuration and changing the EfiSecureBoot from 1 to 0 worked for me yesterday. Now I find it hilarious how Parallels suddenly releases an alleged fix for this the very next day. #smh