Visual C++ 2015/17/19 x64 (not ARM64) will not install

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by EricV4, May 22, 2021.

1. DanielY9

DanielY9 Bit poster

Figured this out! Here's the workaround:
    1. Download and install x64 Visual C++ redist to a x64/x86 PC
    2. Find the package cache, should be the most recently modified folder in C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\. For example, it may be C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{3407B900-37F5-4CC2-B612-5CD5D580A163}v14.32.31332\packages\vcRuntimeMinimum_amd64
    3. Open the command prompt in that location
    4. Run msiexec /i vc_runtimeMinimum_x64.msi ADDEPLOY=1
    That's it, should be good to go from there.

MichaelO30 likes this.
  2. DanielY9

DanielY9 Bit poster

(forgot to add, you'll want to copy the contents of that folder to the same spot on your ARM64 machine)

3. simbarashek

simbarashek Bit poster

Hey, did this work for anyone, I have attempted it and till the program is looking for the X64 version.

4. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Hunter

Same thing happened when I was testing a game in Win10 ARM. Every time I loaded the game, it wanted to install the x64 software (related to thread). It thought it did, but the game would never load as it would sit in a loop basically. I even Manually installed the software and the game still didn't see it. I obviously gave up on it after fighting for quite a while.

5. CarolineA1

CarolineA1 Bit poster

Same here - I haven't found a solution yet either and now I carry a second windwos laptop in the field, because i can't do my daily work without the application.
    Exactly this circumstance keeps me from a Parallels subscription, although Win11 on the Mac would simplify a lot for me. Too bad

Ivan44 likes this.
  6. Ivan44

Ivan44 Bit poster

I also have the same issue. This is the reason I will not be continuing my subscription of parallels.

7. FredV5

FredV5 Bit poster

I had a similar issue where the software I was trying to run on Windows 11 prompted me for the Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable package. Installing the VC++ 2015 package installed the ARM version and the application still prompted me for the same.

However, installing the single "latest supported" x86 package for Visual Studio 2015, 2017, 2019, and 2022 from Microsoft (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170) installed correctly and fixed the app I was trying to use.

8. MichaelO30

MichaelO30 Bit poster

Best Answer

This was extremely helpful! This worked to get Shure Designer running on my M1. I revised the instructions a bit in case anyone needs additional clarity:
    1. Install C++ x64 normally on a PC
    2. Go to C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\ and find the cached data with vcRuntimeMinimum_amd64 in it.
    3. Copy that entire cache folder (similar to "3407B900-37F5-4CC2-B612-5CD5D580A163")
    4. Paste it to the same directory on your Parallels machine - C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\
    5. After pasting, go to the vcRuntimeMinimum_amd64 folder and run terminal from that folder (right-click -> open in terminal)
    6. Run "msiexec /i vc_runtimeMinimum_x64.msi ADDEPLOY=1" in terminal and it should manually install x64 C++ on your VM.
    Note: you'll have to go to view->show->hidden items in C: to see Program Data

I uploaded my cached data in case someone doesn't have access to their own PC. I highly recommend using your own PC with the latest version of C++ for the widest compatibility with the software you're trying to install.

Attached Files:

Colin11, RitenJ, AaronR15 and 2 others like this.
  9. AaronR15

AaronR15

This worked perfectly for me! Been trying to get Shure Designer installed for a while now.

MichaelO30 likes this.
  10. RitenJ

RitenJ

This worked for me! Thanks!

11. HaydenD

HaydenD Bit poster

Legend! Thanks