Win 11 on Parallels constantly crashes after update

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by DmitryZ3, Dec 20, 2022.

1. DmitryZ3

DmitryZ3 Bit poster

I just updated my M1 MacBook Air to the latest macOs Ventura 13.1 and at the same time updated Parallels to version 17.1.6 (51584).

The only software I use in Windows is called MemoQ - it's a specialized translation tool that works only in the Windows environment. This is also updated to the latest version. Also, I use Auto settings for resource allocation to Parallels, since MemoQ is pretty demanding when it comes to resources. This has never caused any issues except for occasional wait times when processing massive translation memory files, for example.

As a result, my Windows now crashes every 5-10 minutes. It seems to happen randomly, but mostly when I am switching desktops from the Parallels one (it's in full-screen mode) to macOS. Then I get a message to send a report to the Parallels tech support. I did that several times already. But some days I may need to work 6-8 hours in this software, and getting kicked out every 5-10 minutes is time-consuming and distracting, thus reducing productivity.

I wonder if anyone else encountered the same

ElliotD likes this.
  2. RiccardoC6

RiccardoC6 Junior Member

I have a similar problem.
    As I updated my M1 MacBook pro to OS Ventura 13.01, Paralles Desktop version 17 purchased at the end of March 22 stopped to start.
    As I try to start PD 17 I only get "windows Start" screen and nothing else happen.
    I got notice that PD 17 "may be not fully compatible or optimized for OS Ventura" but I'cant at least access to the files and folders stored under Windows11 envirnment.
    It's totally unbeliveable.
    Any suggestion?

ElliotD and JawadA1 like this.
  3. DmitryZ3

DmitryZ3 Bit poster

Here's what I ended up doing.
    - Installed another copy of Windows in Parallels
    - Asked the MemoQ software provider to reset the serial number for installation on a new PC
    - Installed the software in the fresh copy of Windows
    - Asked a colleague to send me their backup copy of the projects we work on together. I could have used my previously saved files and Translation Memories to create the projects afresh, but this is just a quicker and simpler solution. Either way, in my situation, no work data was lost.

This may help you in a way that installing a second Windows virtual machine will let you back into the Win environment. Win and Mac should have shared access to files and folders (unless you changed this in settings - then you are probably screwed). This way you should be able to work with the Windows files you had saved previously.

Note to self: definitely need to get serious about backing up my Mac OS in Time Machine and creating reserve copies of Windows.

I hope this helps. Merry belated Christmas and a Happy upcoming New Year!

4. DmitryZ3

DmitryZ3 Bit poster

As a follow-up,

After doing the steps above i noticed that the Virtual Machine is now consuming less power and is working in a more memory-efficient manner. Not sure whether it has to do with the Mac OS update of the fresh Windows install, but it's definitely nice to have it running more smoothly on a 16-gb RAM MacBook Air.

ElliotD likes this.
  5. JawadA1

JawadA1 Bit poster

Wow man, this makes my suspicion correct, i wont upgrade neither parallels to 17.1.6 from 17.1.4 nor macos to 13.1 due to this. I am 100% confident it wont work like its working now. Parallels is showing me the upgrade popup now on every launch, paid customers bombarded with such 'adware'.

RiccardoC6 and ElliotD like this.
  6. ElliotD

ElliotD Junior Member

You both are not alone. I have the exact same issue. 13.1 seems to be the trigger. 13.0 with 17 is just fine. With 13.1 PD 'loses' the created VM file in macOS and the error logs indicate the VM file has been moved or deleted, neither are the case. PD simply suffered a fault due to the 13.1 update and was not properly patched. It is not possible to roll back to 13.0. I've made multiple contacts to parallels and it appears they didn't do any internal testing for 13.1 public beta and did not update 17 accordingly. They are primarily focused on 18 now. Customer support expected me to pay and subscribe to 18 pro to fix the issue. Just ordered a Dell laptop and uninstalled PD from my mac. Happy to say this headache-ware is behind me :D. Hope you guys find a solution that works for you!

7. MattiasD

MattiasD Bit poster

Same thing is happening with me, quite isolated to the upgrade from Ventura 13.0.1 to 13.1
    Always use Parallels 16.5.1 extensively on 13.0.1 without problems. Just upgraded to Ventura 13.1 and have had random shut downs while in full screen mode occurring at about 5 minutes after loggin in. So, not related to PD 17, but to the upgrade of the base MacOS.

ElliotD likes this.
  8. RiccardoC6

RiccardoC6 Junior Member

Agree. And the company seems to care about the upgrade to Rel 18 only. No support at all. Sure I won't pay twice the license after six months...
    Very disappointing and unfair to customers

ElliotD likes this.
  9. ElliotD

ElliotD Junior Member

They still won't release my post due to 'moderation' but I've said basically the same thing. This seems to be a pattern.

10. ElliotD

ElliotD Junior Member

True but Parrales did not test with 13.1 Beta. They have no plan to support it according to their customer support. It's 18 or bust for them. I've been waiting on a response about their progress towards a fix for 1 month now.

MattiasD likes this.
  11. RiccardoC6

RiccardoC6 Junior Member

they're gonna loose customers and gain bad feedbacks. I'ts a free choice they've made...

ElliotD likes this.
  12. ElliotD

ElliotD Junior Member

This is the thread of: "I just tried reinstalling my VM for a 8th time and I found this thread at 2 AM"o_O

13. MattiasD

MattiasD Bit poster

I'm glad you said it out loud, this is exactly the solution I've been postponing for a while now. Separate laptop for that purpose. I'm not interested in paying yearly fees for a product that always has some issue with an upgrade and never provides timely customer support. Thank you for the insight!

14. ElliotD

ElliotD Junior Member

When the 'fix' is to spend money. You know they don't care.

Attached Files:

15. ElliotD

ElliotD Junior Member

Hey PD support, if you're not going to fix it why not just give the people in this thread free 18 keys?

16. WilliamT14

WilliamT14 Member

Noticing that lots of posts are complaining about version 17 or earlier. KB about macOS Ventura https://kb.parallels.com/128970 shows that version 18 or later is supported.
    I'm using 18.1.1 with macOS 13.1 without crashing. I did have network performance issues, but changed the network from "shared" to "bridged" and it's back to full speed again.

17. ElliotD

ElliotD Junior Member

17 was supported on MacOS 13 up until 18 came out. This is a thread of people who bought 17 and can no longer use their machines less than a year later due to 18 being released. 17 worked fine until 18 was released a few months ago. Only then was 17 dropped from support.

18. snnrman

snnrman Bit poster

No support response? I guess I will buy then.

19. JohannesA5

JohannesA5 Bit poster

I had this problem as well. The only solution was to install another copy of Windows 11 ARM64. The new VM does not restart the way the older installation did.