Mouse pointer size issue

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MarcelloR, Mar 3, 2023.

1. MarcelloR

MarcelloR Member

Hello.
    I have an issue with Parallels Desktop starting from v. 18.1.*.

When I access to my Mac after the monitor entered in energy-saving mode (the Mac's screen is black), the mouse pointer on the Windows VM is bigger than the normal size (very big).

There is nothing I can do to restore the normal size of the mouse pointer. The only thing that works is:
    • Exit from Full Screen Mode (my default configuration)
    • Enter again in Full Screen Mode (then, I also need to adjust the resolution from Parallels Desktop)
    This is a very annoying issue I have many times per day. By the way, it often happens that the mouse pointer on the Windows VM "lost" its interaction with Windows. It looks like the pointer is no longer hooked by Windows. In this case, I can solve the problem by sliding the screen from Windows (Full Screen) to Mac and then to Windows again ... the mouse starts to be reactive again ... not so nice!

My configuration is as following:
    • MacBook Pro 16-inch 2019, 2.4 GHz Intel Core i9 8 core, 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
    • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
    • macOS Ventura 13.2.1 (22D68)
    • Parallels Desktop Business Edition v. 18.2.0 (53488)
    • Guest VM:
      • Windows 10 Professional Edition 64 bit, 22H2, 19045.2604
    • Parallels configuration:
      • Hypervisor: Parallels, 4 CPU, 12 Mb RAM
      • Graphic card: best for display Retina (with Use Always High Performance Graphic)
      • Full Screen Mode, resolution is 2880 x 1800
    I never had this problem in the past (big mouse pointer), I started to have it since the last two updates. I waited a few versions before posting this message, just to check if any bugfix was available.

Is there anyone else having the same problem?

Thank you.
    -marcello

2. Ashley Chumun

Ashley Chumun Staff Member

Dear Marcello,

Thank you for your feedback.

To let us better understand the situation, please perform the following steps:

1. Reproduce the issue.

2. Collect a technical report (click the Parallels icon on top of the mac menu bar > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in a reply to this message.

Thanks!

3. MarcelloR

MarcelloR Member

Hello.
    Thank you very much for your interest with my case.
    The report ID is: 420156571.
    Kindly let me know if there is anything else I can do.
    Thanks.

4. Ashley Chumun

Ashley Chumun Staff Member

Dear Marcello,
    Thank you for the provided technical report.
    As a possible solution, kindly perform the following steps:
    1. Start your virtual machine.
    2. Open Command prompt as administrator (Windows search > Command prompt > Right-click > Run as administrator) and execute the following command:
    sfc /scannow
    (kindly wait until the command is successfully completed)
    2.1. Then execute:
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth
    3. Take a screenshot of the output in Command prompt.
    4. Then in the Command prompt, execute the following command:
    chkdsk C: /f /r
    5. The system may ask you to schedule a disk check for the next Windows restart. Type Y and press Enter.
    6. Next time you restart Windows, the disk check procedure will begin immediately.
    At the end of the disk check process, you will see the conclusion whether there were hard disk corrupted sectors that were successfully repaired or no errors were found.
    7. Once you get back to your Windows Virtual machine's desktop > Install Parallels Tools (Actions > Install Parallels Tools).
    If the issue still persists, please, collect an additional technical report(click Parallels icon || > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID along with the screenshot taken on step 3 in a reply to this message.

Best regards,

5. MarcelloR

MarcelloR Member

Hello again.
    First of all, I would like to thank you for your tips.
    I know that process/steps, I sfc-ed/dism-ed many times before. At the same time I think it isn't a solution (at least in my case). Anyway, I tried and I can confirm, it did not work.

The good news is that last weekend, I installed new v. 18.3.1 (53614) and, since that, it looks like my problem is solved or, better, it's no longer happening.

So, at the moment I monitoring my environment to see if it's ok or if I will have the issue again.

Thank you.

Kind regards.