Applications/games not working in Windows on Arm

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Mikhail Ushakov, Feb 10, 2022.

1. LeonardoF2

LeonardoF2 Bit poster

Having trouble with Wireshark... it can't locate the Npcap.dll

2. AzinS

AzinS Member

Microsoft SQL Server can't be installed on ARM. Azure SQL edge is an alternative but doesn't have some important capabilities like CLR.

3. CharlesE4

CharlesE4 Bit poster

After seeing all the trouble folk are having with various games, etc. - perhaps I should not be surprised that attempting to get Nota Bene for Windows to work inside of Parallels on my M2 air also doesn't work. The logs show two issues, starting with: Fatal ACCESS_VIOLATION exception occurred in nbed at 0x0c9c3892. These issues do not show up when installing Nota Bene for Windows inside of Crossover for the Mac, FWIW. Suggestions?

4. BradB7

BradB7 Member

FYI for folks trying to run 'Stray'. I was very wrong about it working. it will only work until the end of the first cut scene after the rain from the cave. Then it will crash every single time. Even with 16mb ram allocated on an M! MBP under Windows 11 Pro 22H2 and Parallels Desktop 18.1.1. I've done suggestions from Reddit and elsewhere with setting the shader to the lowest setting. Even when using the Steam version trying to force -dx12 or -dx11 tags and it doesn't matter. The game will start fine. I move the cat around. I complete the first task in the cave till I nap, and after the cat wakes up, it will crash when a butterfly goes by every time. The crash is with the unreal engine. One suggestion even was to separately install the engine from Unreal. That didn't work either.

5. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hey @BradB7, JFYI, our developers have been working for some time on the "Stray" game issue, but there is quite a challenge to fix the game crash. We continue to work on it but please don't expect a fix in the near future. Looking forward to your understanding! If there are other games you have tried or about to try in Windows powered by Parallels Desktop, please let me know! I would love to know your experience.

6. KameronC

KameronC Bit poster

Just upgraded to Parallels 18 and installed Windows 11 on my M2 Mac mini. Xbox app still doesn't allow for downloading games from game pass - getting a "unsupported processor" error. Unfortunate as this was the only reason I went to the trouble to get Parallels and Windows.

7. BastianN

BastianN Bit poster

Dear Parallels Team
    Is there any news regarding support for games like "Stray" on Windows ARM and M2?

8. oathompsonjones

oathompsonjones Bit poster

Is there any news regarding DirectX 12 support? I've just bought Hogwarts Legacy, hoping to be able to play it as soon the download had finished, only to discover that DirectX 12 does not work on parallels.

9. TomV7

TomV7 Bit poster

Can't get Autodesk Inventor Pro 2023 to work on Parallels, it crashes after a short while after pushing Create.
    Parallels 18.2.0, MBP 16 M1 Max and Windows 11 Pro for Workstation 22H2 OS build 22621.1265.

10. RyanS32

RyanS32 Bit poster

I've got an M2 Max w/96GB Ram, having an issue with a SignalHound Spectrum Analyzer device that utilizes CYUSB3 drivers. The auto installer completes successfully but when I plug that device in it popups up in Device Manager with the Alert Triangle. I point it to the driver folder the manufacturer directed me to but that doesn't help as it says no driver found. I reached out to the manufacturer and they don't support utilizing their devices nor software via VM. This device worked perfectly fine for numerous year on my 2019 i9 MBP. Any thoughts or help?

11. TomV7

TomV7 Bit poster

Resolved, it was mfc140u.dll ver 14.32.31332.0 that gave an error in the Event Viewer.
    Installed mfc140u.dll ver 14.34.31938.0 with the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable x64 file.
    3D in Inventor Pro 2023 is working. HURRA!

12. LeonardoF2

LeonardoF2 Bit poster

EA App launcher doesn't open... crashes right away

13. BrunoR7

BrunoR7 Bit poster

Same here... I bought Internet Download Manager when I had a windows 10 PC, and I bought Parallels to be able to continue to use IDM on my new MacBook Pro, but the Browser Integration is not functional and IDM support says they doesn't support ARM or the moment...

14. ChaLei

ChaLei Bit poster

M1 Max MBP 32GB macOS 13.2.1, Parallels Pro 18.2.0 (53488), Windows 11 Pro 22H2 (22621.1344)
    The Long Dark is missing snow terrain textures, I can see right through it.
    Mass Effect: Andromeda Deluxe has blinding white flashes over most of the screen on the main menu background and during gameplay.

15. JonathanA10

JonathanA10 Junior Member

Diablo IV beta will not run on Parallels. I get an error saying no GPU can be found and that a GPU is required to run the application. I saw some people post on reddit talking about the same issue with the Beta 3 months ago. I did not see any resolution for this. Has anyone seen this error on other games? Any thoughts on a solution? I know it plays on Win10, I don't think its the usual DirectX12 issue.

16. JonathanA10

JonathanA10 Junior Member

yeah, I thought it was strange that they bother to look for a GPU. I gave parallels 8GB for the GPU, so it would have been fine. Intentionally ignoring SoC seems like they are giving themselves unnecessary handcuffs.

17. takepoint

takepoint Bit poster

I just installed Diablo 4 (Open Beta) on Parallels Desktop 18 Pro running Battle.net on Windows 11 Pro 22h2. The game does not launch due to the "No GPUs found!" error. Parallels Desktop was configured for games only. I tried to update and restart Battle.net and then "Scan and Repair" game files to no avail. Error message as follows: No GPUs found! A GPU is required to play Diablo IV. This might occur if you are currently installing GPU drivers.
    [​IMG]
    I also tried updating Battle.net to beta then rebooted both Windows 11 & Ventura - the same result. I guess Diablo 4 can't detect "Parallels Display Adapter (WDDM)" as GPU although the M1 chip had 8 core GPU. My other games Diablo II LoD and Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 worked fine.

18. ElonK1

ElonK1 Bit poster

Unfortunately, SQLServer cannot installed either here. I tried a lot but failed.

19. BradB7

BradB7 Member

Did not want to waste a separate thread, but I can confirm that with some flickering (though I've yet to mess with settings), on a 2020 M1 MBP with 16gb Ram, under parallels Pro 18.2 and Windows 11 Pro, that the Frogwares game "Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened (2023)" remastered version of the 2008 release works Good under Steam. Upon first launch it will tell you to run as DX11, so simply use steam to update the launch parameters to "-dx11" and it will launch and run fine.

20. EvgenyT

EvgenyT Bit poster

Did some one try to launch Age of Wonders 4 on parallels ?