Partitioning scheme

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by jchris91739, Feb 29, 2008.

1. jchris91739

jchris91739 Junior Member

Hardware - Macbook Pro
    Software - OS X 10.5, Windows XP Home SP2, Parallels Desktop

Goal: System that runs XP Pro via bootcamp, and uses the same XP image for Parallels. Data partition that is readable/writable from both XP and OS X. Like to end up with 3 partitions I guess: 1 HFS+ where I will install OS X, 1 NTFS where I will install XP, 1 FAT where I will keep data I'd like to have access to from either OS.

My understanding of the issue:
    1. FAT partitions can't exceed 32 GB (when formatted using the MS tool on the XP disk)
    2. apple's boot camp software only allows 1 mac partition and 1 windows partition.

This is a new machine, so I can format, start from scratch, erase all data, destructively resize partitions, whatever. Any tips / read-me's appreciated.

2. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

why do you need Bootcamp?
    Parallels works best for me as a VM with no partitions

the whole point of the Mac GUI is to trust the automation and do something useful

If you must do what you say consider adding a Firewire disk and running the VM from that

The Forums are full of cries of pain from Bootcamp users and Bootcamp is only just out of beta

take care to Keep things Simple

KISS

Hugh W

3. jchris91739

jchris91739 Junior Member

Well, some games don't work in Parallels, and those that do will run faster natively.

As for the FireWire drive, sure, I could do that. But carrying a portable drive everywhere would seem to eliminate one of the main advantages of owning a laptop computer?