Parallels freezes once my Mac has gone to sleep

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jgilb, May 25, 2006.

1. jgilb

jgilb Bit poster

Whenever my MacBook Pro has gone to sleep with Parellels open and Windows booted up, Parallels freezes and the only way to begin my work again is to force quit the Parallels Workstation application. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, found a solution. Hopefully Parallels is going to address this issue prior to the final release.

2. dirk@hohndel.org

dirk@hohndel.org Member

I've had this and basically have given up on it for now - I changed OS-X power management to never go to sleep and then suspend the VM before shutting my MBP. That works reliably.

/D

3. MatthewR

MatthewR Member

I had this problem in all the betas I tried (4 - 6), so I always suspended the VM prior, which is a real hassle because I have to close open files that exist in the VM and were opened with a Mac application through an SMB mount.

Starting with RC1, the VM no longer dies like this. Instead, about a minute after putting the laptop to sleep, it wakes back up on its own and remains running while closed. If I leav it like this and come back later, I find the MacBook Pro has rurned off. If the battery is low, it should hibernate (safe sleep), but instead just seems to turn off. Having OS X go down is much worse than having Windows inside the VM go down.

Symptoms change, but the end result is the same. VM must be suspended before allowing the laptop to sleep. Not very convienent, and potentially rather hazardous should one forget to suspend the VM before closing the lid, or worse, get interuptted and allow it to sleep just due to momentary inactivity. This is an issue that MUST be fixed.

4. plarusa

plarusa Member

Don't use VM sound with the betas. There is some interaction with that and the MAC power management. I think this problem is fixed in RC1.