Parallels Speed ISSUES!! - It became slow!!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by zzmad, May 20, 2006.

1. MicroDev

MicroDev Hunter

Ha, Ha. Yeah right. I'm going to re-install Windows 2000, XP, 2003, Linux, and Solaris and accompanying software with each release. I would hope there is a better solution than that available.

Personally, I use Sandra and BGInfo to get a quick snapshot of the speed. The CPU speed actually went up slightly in RC1 under XP, and is about the same under the rest. Currently the reported speeds are:

Windows 2000: 1.7Ghz Celeron II
    Windows XP: 1.8Ghz Celeron II
    Windows 2003: 833Mhz Celeron II

Is the floating point unit missing for some reason? Would that explain why it keeps reporting a Celeron?

2. Mark

Mark Member

What happens if you dedicate more to parallels? I gave Parallels 932 MB (in preferences) and then gave the VM 832 MB and it's pretty snappy. Since you say that you wind up with a 3GB swap file, which I assume is in Windows, then it sounds like Windows is swapping.

3. steve

steve Member

Speed improved

Well, I just downloaded RC1 and installed. Having read the discussion regarding speed I was worried that my XP performance would decrease. I was surprised that to find that the boot time was about 1/2 of Beta6. I haven't done any experience testing of applications yet.

So, tentatively and with caution and concern for others experiences, GREAT WORK PARALLELS!

4. zzmad

zzmad Junior Member

No I am talking about OSX, Not Windows. When I run Maya tests I only run 1 app in Windows which is Maya.
    I will try to give more RAM to Parallels and see if that's the problem. But more than 512 kills OSX. It will have to move stuff on the swap and from then you'll have a zombie machine ..
    I am not fan of rebooting. But I had a PMac G5 dual core with 4.5GB Ram and that made a lot of difference. Not the CPU, not even the HD but the Ram.

It looks like the slow down is pertinent to Maya though.
    If anyone has still beta 4 I can test again.
    Do you have a beta 4 download link at Parallels?

Thank you.