How to get Parallels networks services back in OS X

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Rothgarr, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

In a desperate attempt of "I'll try anything to get my Mac back on the network" I deleted the "Parallels Host-Guest" and "Parallels NAT" services in the Mac Network Preferences Control Panel.

Well, my Mac is back on the network (it had nothing to do with my Mac but with the router).

But now I have very intermittent connectivity in Windows XP through Parallels. How do I get those two services created by Parallels back into Network Preferences that I deleted?

Thanks!

2. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Rothgarr,

Please uninstall Parallels, then reinstall.

Best regards,
    Xenos

3. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

Like, everything?

Meaning... Windows, all my installed apps, settings, files, preferences, etc.? I don't mean to complain (especially after I did something as stupid as deleting those two services), but is it possible to simply add two new services with specific settings?

I mean, it'll be great to have full connectivity back but it'll take more than a day to de-authorize/uninstall everything, back it up and start from scratch if I can't just add two services.

Thanks!

4. stsanford

stsanford Member

I believe if you just uninstall, then reinstall, your prefs stay. Not sure, but I believe that's what happened when I uninstalled and reinstalled last month.
    HTH

5. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

Rothgarr, I can just add that Stsanford is right. When you reinstall Parallels your virtual hard drive does not get changed, you do not have to reinstall the Guest OS and you can use your old VM.

Best regards,
    Xenos

6. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

Go it. Thank you stsanford and Xenos. I'll give it a shot.