Windows drive size inconsistency after SP1 install

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by njclay, Mar 28, 2008.

1. njclay

njclay Bit poster

After updating Vista to SP1 and suffering a few of the kernel panics with 5584 (which seem to be resolved with 5592) I now have a significant difference between the size of the drive recognized by windows and the size of the hdd file.

Windows records the 'C' drive as 32GB while the hdd file is taking up 44GB on OSX. It has grown by 8GB in the last 5 days and the two number used to almost match pre SP1.
    I have tried running compressor (which will not run - plain disk? I have no snapshots).

Any suggestions as the hdd file seems to grow arbitrarily even though windows isn't recording the change? Is it related to the crashes, how can I clean it up?

- njc

2. njclay

njclay Bit poster

I think I might have found the problem - there are two .hds files inside the .hdd package.
    One of them has not been opened or modified for a week and might be related to one of the kernel panics or an old snapshot (even though snapshot manager indicates that I do not have any)?

Is it safe to delete this extra .hds file?

Thanks for any help or suggestions,

- njc

3. parallels support

parallels support Member

Hello,
    probably not a good idea to delete the extra .HDS file. Even though your snapshot manager may not report any existing snapshots, the extra .HDS file is an important part of your virtual hard drive and more than likely is the reason that Compressor isn't working.

What I would recommend is to use the Parallels Image Tool (Applications>Parallels) to merge the snapshots (multiple .HDS files) and then run the Compressor again.

4. Kraken

Kraken Member

I have a similar problem, but I have 8 .hds files inside mine! And here's the kicker, I can't run Image Tool on it because it says I need more hard drive space...but I can't delete anything else. How can I get this thing under control? I suppose I could go get a bigger external HD, but I don't have time or money for that right now...

I ended up moving a bunch of files/applications/garage band files to the network drive and Image tool was able to do its thing in about an hour and a half. I've got my drive back and it appears to be more responsive.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  5. njclay

njclay Bit poster

David,

Thanks, that worked perfectly and freed 16GB of space!

- njc