@ symbol missing

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Pagemakers, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Pagemakers

Pagemakers Member

I am using an UK keyboard. The '@' key displays “

How do I display '@'?

2. ivevang

ivevang Bit poster

Try shift+2!

3. Pagemakers

Pagemakers Member

That gives me "

4. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

Pagemakers, I am not sure how to type @ on a UK keyboard, but you can use The Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator to assign any key you wish for this symbol.

Best regards,
    Xenos

5. iainhouston@mac.com

iainhouston@mac.com Bit poster

Hmm .... Shift+" on the UK Mac keyboard maps to @ in Windows ... like you, Pagemakers, I had assumed that the keyboard would be already mapped by Parallels as part of the Express Installation ... everything else has been really smooth.

6. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

7. iainhouston@mac.com

I followed Xenos's advice and used the MS utility to create a new 'keyboard language' (i.e. my UK Mac keyboard) ... it wasn't hard, MS help info was good.
    I think the advantage for me on my MacBook Pro is that this works both when I have the USB keyboard plugged in and when I am 'on the road' with the laptop's (UK Mac) keyboard layout.

8. Pagemakers

Pagemakers Member

I even tried changing the keyboard to US and while this fixes the @ problem, other keys then map to the wrong keys!

9. iainhouston@mac.com

Pagemakers, have you tried the MS Keyboard Layout Creator?
    It allows you to see key-by-key what the mapping is and to change it if you like.
    You can be in control of whatever key combinations you choose on your Mac-attached keyboard to give the Windows characters you want.
    My only comment to the Parallels guys is that they should provide some typical examples of alternative keyboard 'languages' ... this must be a most common requirement surely as Windows keyboards have a different number of keys than a Mac keyboard ... they've covered everything else so comprehensively it seems!

10. Pagemakers

Pagemakers Member

I didn't want to but I guess I will have to.