Running VMWare Server inside Parallels?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jsolderitsch, May 25, 2006.

1. jsolderitsch

jsolderitsch Member

I wonder if anyone has downloaded the beta VMWare server product and installed inside Parallels guest OS -- like Windows XP/SP2?

I need to do some experimentation and I figure before I try, I would see if anyone has tried this in the past?

If VMWare server is workable, then I wonder about creating a VMWare virtual machine to run inside the server?

There are so-called appliance VMWare VMs that come preconfigured -- e.g Red Hat Enterprise 3 with BEA Weblogic pre-installed that I may try to install into the server.

I wonder if the magic of running XP inside Parallels, then running VMWare server inside the XP guest, and then running VMWare VM inside of that is possible?

Unless I here others failed at this, I may give it a go.

Jim

2. 1010011010

1010011010 Bit poster

Nested VMs are unlikely to work. If you do try it, be sure to report back.

3. ivel

ivel Member

Well i got VMWare to run inside of XP inside of Parallels.

Here is a screenshot of it:
    [​IMG]

-Levi

4. ricka

ricka Bit poster

That is some freaky stuff dude.

--Rick

5. jsolderitsch

jsolderitsch Member

Hey,

Thanks for the confirmation.

I just downloaded the VMware player and an "appliance" VMware container supposedly containg Red Hat Enterprise Linux (3 I think) with Weblogic pre-installed.

I plan to have a go at that soon.

Jim

6. 1010011010

1010011010 Bit poster

Sweet

That's pretty sweet. How is the performance of the nested VMWare session? Have you tried running more than one inside Parallels?