USB Mass storage pen drive connectivity problem in Windows 98

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by chpmge, Apr 1, 2008.

1. chpmge

chpmge Bit poster

Sorry if this is duplicating an issue previously noted; my searches haven't located anything directly. I'm using Parallels 3.0 (build 5584) and have successfully installed and used windows 98SE (version 4.10) as a virtual machine. My only frustration is that I cannot connect any USB mass storage flash disk to enable easy file transfer between Windows 98 and Leopard. I've seen other people have used networked folders to bypass this issue but this has not proved successful in my case and I can only transfer files by burning CD's or using e-mail!

I have tried four different USB flash disks and although the devices are recognised upon connection to a USB port (they all appear in the Devices -> USB) and they can be selected by Windows98, none of the devices can be detected by hardware manager and nothing appears in the system icon tray (in the bottom right hand corner). Effectively they remain invisible! I'm aware that Win98 requires drivers for the use of USB flash drives. I've obtained the drivers supplied by the respective vendors of the USB disks and have installed them into Win98 but this makes no difference - still no device is visible. I should mention that all these flash disks work perfectly when connected to an XP SP2 virtual machine or in Leopard. Also I know it is not a general USB problem since my USB floppy drive works without problem. I have seen that people have succesfully connected USB drives to Win98 with previous parallels builds so maybe this is a problem with the latest version?

Any insight or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Mike.

2. jbh001

jbh001 Member

Microsoft didn't get all the bugs out of their USB implementation until Windows XP. This is probaly why it is such a headache to get USB devices consistently working correctly under versions of Windows prior to XP.

A possible solution to your problem is mentioned in this post.