New Parrallels User

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Chaz, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Chaz

Chaz Bit poster

I just ordered a new iMac and Parrallels 3.0. I am a Mac guy and reguarlly curse Redmond Washington. The only reason I need a PC is because I create powerpoints used by schools that are only have PCs. When I create in them in Mac Office and convert them to MS Office PC, I run into many problems and extra work. So I purchased Parallels. I will be using Windows just for this, but I will be using Mac applications at the same time. I will be using only Leopard for everything else. What Windows system do you recommend with Parallels, XP or Vista. I would like to minimize my installation and usage headaches.

2. slimemold

slimemold Hunter

XP. It's lighter-weight, and thus more ideal for Parallels. I see no compelling reason to use Vista.

3. JimS

JimS Bit poster

Huge Performance Boost

I too am a brand new Parallels user. We are going to use some industry specific software that is only available in Windoze.

Started out with a brand new MacMini with one GB of ram and Leopard V10.5.2. Very spiffy until I tried Parallels with Windows XP Home. The performance was sooooo sloooooow, 30 seconds to resize a window, etc. I readup about slow performance on this forum, and also consulted with a colleague who is using the software in question. He uses VirtualPC on a PowerMac and his immediate response was "not enough ram".

I went to the Apple store and had them install another gig of Ram. Amazing difference-- no more beach balls, Windows XP loads faster than on our Alien Area 51-M Laptop, with dual core 3ghz processors and 2 gigs of ram.

So the moral of the story is be sure you buy enough ram-- suggest 2 GB minimum. Jim's Law- "No such thing as too much ram" has been proven once more.