Parallels Host-Guest, Parallels NAT get self assigned IP after first reboot

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by uurf, Apr 4, 2008.

1. uurf

uurf Bit poster

Hi,

Having trouble with networking.

When I first do an install of parallels, both Parallels Host-Guest, Parallels NAT network correctly receive IP addresses via DHCP. However, after the next reboot, they never do again and instead have self assigned IPs.

Once they are in the self-assigned IP state, no connectivity for Guest OSes, obviously.

Reboot has no effect

renewing DHCO leases has no effect

the only thing that restores connectivity is uninstalling and reinstalling Parallels. This restores network connectivity, until the next reboot.

Model Name: Mac Pro
    Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
    Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Memory: 5 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B08
    SMC Version: 1.7f10

2. jdonshik

jdonshik Member

This happens to me periodically. I agree that the IP adresses for the Parallels network adapters seem to "lose their way" upon a restart. However, in my experience, rebooting my mac pro always seems to make them work again. There is another thread

http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=19276

where the last approx 10 posts seem to discuss others like us who are also having this intermittent problem.

Jon

3. jdonshik

jdonshik Member

Sorry- I had forgotten to change my signature--

I am running the most recent version, 5584

Jon

4. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

Thank you for the reports. Please check if the following helps:

In Mac System Preferences -> Network open Parallels NAT configuration, choose "Off" in IPv4 drop-down menu and click Apply. Do the same for Host-Guest adapter.

Shut down Parallels and reboot your Mac. Now go to Mac System Preferences -> Network again and choose "Using DHCP" in IPv4 drop-down menu for Parallels NAT and Host-Guest adapters. Click "Apply" for both of them.

Best regards,
    Xenos

5. jdonshik

jdonshik Member

I usually do not have to check these items. A simple reboot does the trick, at least for me and my computer. However, the question is , why do we need to do this? I really do not enjoy having to shut off the Mac after restarting parallels, in order to get parallels running again with internet activity.

Why does this happen? I suppose this is the question for the engineers...

I think that this did not start (although I could be wrong) until either v 10.5.1 or 10.5.2

Jon

6. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Jon, this is a known issue and I have not proposed a solution - just a workaround. Our engineers are working to fix this. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Best regards,
    Xenos