Broken Games - Speak up here if you want to see a particular game working.

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by krayola, Jun 10, 2007.

1. jessdel

jessdel Bit poster

jd300 mentioned that the sims now works - I keep getting an error when I try to start the game:

D3DERR_INVALIDCALL! The application will now terminate.

Can anybody help? I'm running XP Pro with SP2 through Parallels 3 (latest Leopard-compatible build) on a MBP 2.6Ghz core duo, 4GB RAM, 8600M GT graphics card.

What am I doing wrong?? The only thing I'm not clear on is if the poster above is referring to the original sims or Sims 2 + EP's.

Thanks in advance..

2. frankie

frankie Junior Member

D3derr

Sims 2 on Windows requires DirectX 9.0c. Parallels only has DX8 support so far. So you'd have to ask jd300 how he got it working.

3. andyzib

andyzib Bit poster

If Anarchy Online worked you would have to tie me to the chair to stop me from buying the Mac I've been lusting after.

Actually, it probably works right now but FunCom is working on a serious engine overhaul for release in the "near" future...

Going for the Valve Source engine would get a number of games going.
    Half-Life 2 + expansions, CS: Source, Portal, Team Fortress 2, etc...

4. Speijk

Speijk Bit poster

OK, I know it is DirectX9.0c only, but I wouldl ike to see support for "The Witcher" :)

5. bernstein

bernstein Bit poster

Age of Empires 3 DOES NOT WORK ON BUILD 5584 !

unlike your statement that age of empires 3 should work, it does not on my mac. it crashes parallels on startup.

i've got a macbook pro from november 2007
    - enabled experimental shaders
    - assigned up to 64 MB video memory

attached pvs, as well as crash report & system config.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Other Games that don't work :
    - Age of Mythology ( transparent objects)
    - Command & Conquer : Generals (crashes vm on startup)
    - Earth 2160 (transparent objects)
    - Empire Earth (menu impossible to navigate, transparent objects)
    - Homeworld / Homeworld Cataclysm (openGL mode doesn't work, directx mode is horribly slow)
    - Impossible Creatures ( transparent objects)
    - Trackmania United (won't start)
    - Warhammer : Dawn of War ( transparent objects, wrong colours, )
    - Settlers 2 10th Anniversary (menu runs nicely, game crashes)
    - Worms 2 (flickering like on a 10Hz screen)
    - Worms Armageddon (flickering like on a 10Hz screen)

- Warzone 2100 (only runs with software renderer)
    - Warzone 2100 2.1beta2 (open source, www.wz2100.net, crash) (version 2.0 runs nicely)

[Edit] Thanks Xenos ! ( Just didn't want to do a simple "thanks" post :) )

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  6. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Bernstein,

Thank you very much for the detailed report. I have delivered it to our QA team.

Best regards,
    Xenos

7. happyparallels

happyparallels Bit poster

GTA Vice City broken (3.0 build 5584)

The announcement for build 5582 says Grand Theft Auto: Vice City runs.

I installed it in Parallels 3.0 build 5584. No errors during the installation.

When I try to run GTA:VC, I get the following error: "Grand Theft Auto VC cannot find enough video memory"

Host:

Mac OS 10.4.11
    Macbook Pro with GeForce 8600M GT graphics, 2.2 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAM

Guest:

Windows 2000 Pro SP4, 512MB RAM, 1024 x 768 resolution

Is there a workaround or anything I can do to supply additional useful info on this bug?

8. happyparallels

happyparallels Bit poster

I should add - video was 16MB. When I edited the VM and set it to 64MB, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City launched.

I didn't think to look under memory instead of graphics to increase the video ram until now.

9. kiwidesign

kiwidesign Bit poster

I already wrote here about GTA:SA compatibility,
    now I'm posting about Need for Speed ProStreet... the game installs fine but does not launch, and the winXP crash report appears for nfs.exe

nothing to say, other than my machine configuration should support it...

10. geobfield

geobfield Bit poster

Just wanted to note that Combat Mission:Beyond Overlord used to work in Software Mode - but now does not. I think it has to do with the move to Leopard and the 5584 build of Parallels but not sure. I have also posted to Battlefront.com asking if anyone there has it working under newer versions of Parallels.

11. jchris91739

jchris91739 Junior Member

Call of Duty 2

I'd like to see Call of Duty 2 working... on a Macbook Pro w/Nvidia 8600 it reports some sort of missing graphics card feature and won't launch.

Pretty sure it only need DX7 too.

12. Aroundtown

Aroundtown Bit poster

World in conflict?

I'd love to see support for World in Conflict with the next upgrade. Thanks

13. Bordgious

Bordgious Junior Member

Star Wars: Battlefront

Star Wars games, namely Star Wars: Battlefront, also including
    Star Wars: Battlefront II
    Star Wars: Empire at War

14. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

15. Kim

Kim Bit poster

Diablo II.

I understand the game can be run on a Mac just fine, but some of the mods that I use are PC exclusive.

Also, I spent a lot of fracking money on this program (not to mention the $200 bucks I shelled out for buying Windows XP Home), and I expect it to live up to some basic promises. Why is this game unable to run on this program?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  16. izzybh

izzybh Bit poster

kim, same goes for me. i've got diablo II version 1.0 which is only for PC and everytime i try download the native installer, the file unzips into the another zipped file and unzips to another and so on. after forking out money for parallels, for xp and for the stupid game, it's getting quite bothersome that it won't load at all. help anyone?

17. Kim

Kim Bit poster

Try loading v.1.10 or v1.11. If you are trying to play the game on Parallels, then you are probably using PC mods. Most PC mods work on 1.10 or 1.11. If you are using 1.0, most mods will not work at all. I should mention that 1.12 came out recently, but plugy does not work with 1.12. Just stick to 1.10 or 1.11 and you will be fine.

*sigh* if someone could make a mac version of plugy, then that would be great.

18. jojo80011

jojo80011 Bit poster

Star Trek Armada

I would love to see Star Trek Armada working. It won't start on Windows 98. Using Windows 2000/XP, t will run, but the cut scenes flicker, and in game play, the "fog" and the map does not work effectively. It is playable, but it would be nice to have this game perform as it was meant to.

19. Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil Bit poster

Space Shuttle Mission 2007 isn't working under v4. with v3 no problems

20. fabforrest

fabforrest Member

Massive Assault 2 (MAN2) is working in v4 with one critical problem. for some reason, the "dots" located under the cities that define unit placement/movement locations are not visible and cannot be used for unit placement or movement. this is a big problem since the possession of the dot in the center of the city is critical to territorial control.

also, the game runs slowly, too slowly to be an effective medium.