Parallels Tools Crashes when trying to cut/paste

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by jeffro01, Mar 19, 2008.

1. jeffro01

jeffro01 Member

Hello,
    I'm running Leopard v10.5.2 and Parallels 5584 and i am having an extremely annoying problem.

Parallels tools will crash at the first attempt of using copy/paste within my VM. No errors pop up, nothing, the icon for parallels tools just disappears from my task bar. The services are still running according to services.msc and the task manager shows ParallelsToolsCenter.exe is still running as well. However, i am unable to copy/paste between OSX and XP Pro. I am able to copy/paste within each OS but not between them. Also at this point when parallels tools crashes, my icons on my OSX doc showing what XP apps are open stops updating and 90% of the time i'm unable to normally shut down my XP VM it will just hang and i have to manually stop the VM.

My VM is Windows XP Pro which is booted off of a boot camp install/partition which is the last detail here. I have also tried twice to re-install parallels tools with no such luck.

Any ideas? This is really starting to become a major issue?

Thanks
    Jeff

2. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Jeff,

Please check if Clipboard Synchronization is enabled in Parallels Tools Center (double click the yellow icon in the system tray).

The Tools crash can be provoked by some software. Could you let me see a screenshot of Add / Remove Programs window (you can open it from Control Panel).

Best regards,
    Xenos

3. jeffro01

jeffro01 Member

Clipboard sync is checked.

Here are the installed programs:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The quality i know isn't great, if you can't read them then let me know and i will grab higher quality shots.

Thanks
    Jeff

4. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for the screenshot.
    Please install the latest MacFUSE version.

Best regards,
    Xenos

5. jeffro01

jeffro01 Member

That seems to have worked, pretty stable the last few days.

Jeff

6. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Thanks for the good news!

Best regards,
    Xenos

7. jeffro01

jeffro01 Member

It has now started crashing again, by say "it" i mean parallels tools. At this point im not sure what is related to it as i don't copy/paste very often.

Now what?

Jeff

8. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Jeff, what is the version of your Parallels Tools? Check in Parallels Tools Center (yellow icon in system tray).

Best regards,
    Xenos

9. jeffro01

jeffro01 Member

Build 5584 (27.12.2007)

Jeff

10. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Jeff, could you please run the Tools Verifier utility attached to this post?
    Download the archive on your VM, unwrap it and copy the contents in any folder. Launch the tool_verifier.cmd file. Send me the log file that will be created by the utility.
    If it is possible, run the Tools Verifier before the crash occurs.

Best regards,
    Xenos

Attached Files:

11. jeffro01

jeffro01 Member

Attached is the log.

Thanks

Attached Files:

• log.txt
      File size:
      4.8 KB
      Views:
  12. jeffro01

jeffro01 Member

Anything???

This has really become a major annoyance

Jeff

13. matt68000

matt68000 Bit poster

I'm having the same problem. I'm using build 5580, XP Pro. When I start up XP initially, the Parallels Tools icon shows up in the tray and copying and Pasting between environments works fine. After a few hours the tray icon goes away and copying and pasting stops. I bring up the Windows Task Manager, process tab. The tool shows up there but it doesn't respond when I try to kill it. The only way to bring it back is to reboot Windows.
    I use the Visual Slick Edit IDE pretty regularly. It has its own clipboard which talks to the Windows clipboard. I don't know any more about the internals. It just seems to work fine for a while, then, when I'm not paying attention, I just notice I can't copy and paste between MacOS and Windows. I do this frequently. Thanks for your help.
    -M

14. dhedley

dhedley Bit poster

Parallels tools still randomly crashing

I am experiencing a large number of crashes with Parallels Tools. By 'crashes' I mean that the tools icon disappears from the systray and the usual Tools functionality stops (cutting/pasting/application launching etc). Tools then refuses to restart unless the whole VM is restarted, which is pretty annoying.

It's hard to point the finger at what's crashing it - sometimes it'll stay up for several hours, sometimes only a few minutes. Each time it crashes there's no indication it's gone except the functionality stops and the icon disappears.

Judging by the posts in this forum, I am not the only one to experience these random crashes.

Host system is currently 10.5.4 with guest OS XP SP3. Parallels build 5608, although I've had the same problem ever since first installing parallels (10.5.2, XP SP2, build 5584 or thereabouts).

15. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Hard to say what exactly causing crash without full investigation of Windows logs and Parallels Tools
    Create ticket in support and submit number I will ask additional information.
    We are collecting crash cases, several was caused by Viruses on Windows, several by Antivirus (PowerPC applications on Mac OS)

16. dhedley

dhedley Bit poster

Has any progress been made on this issue? It is still a regular occurrence on my system. It would be much less annoying if it didn't require a complete reboot of the guest system.

I'm rather reluctant to upgrade to v4 without some evidence of this issue being resolved or at least investigated.

17. dhedley

dhedley Bit poster

Hello?

Anyone there?

Is there any update on this?