Multiple User Catastrophe

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by djgabel, Feb 13, 2008.

1. djgabel

djgabel Bit poster

OK,

mac leopard
    parallels3.0
    Windows XP

This is a new iMac onto which I loaded Parallels and Windows XP. No Problems. Then I loaded some windows only applications and still worked fine.

I then tried to access the stuff from another user account as I am setting this brand new computer up. I quickly discovered that there were some tasks to perform.

I went to page 195 of the manual where it explains what to do. I copied the files and folders of the virtual machine but accidently placed them in my own accounts public/shared folder giving each one the required permissions to read and write.

Then I discovered it still did not work from the other account. Further study of this forum led to a posting by Stacy that you are supposed to MOVE the parallels file to the USERS/SHARED Folder from my own documents folder.

I did that.

Now I can still open windows from my account and use the applications but I get an error message:

Please check your configuration!

Floppy image file /Users/doug/Documents/Parallels/Microsoft Windows XP/unattended.fdd could not be found.

Do you want to continue anyway?

When I click yes the system works but when I go to the other account I get some error messages.

the first is:

Unable to lockout configuration file /USERS/SHARED/PARALLELS/MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP/MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP.PVS

When I click OK I get:

USERS/SHARED/MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP/WINXP.HDD file corrupted

I am a bit miffed that the book led me astray and I would think this multiple user thing comes up everyday.... why not just have the software let you configure for it when you install parallels.

Help will be very much appreciated.

2. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

first of all, I want to be sure that you have done everything written in this article.
    Then please find the .hdd file in the virtual machine folder, right-click on the .hdd file, choose the "Show package contents" menu option and tell me if there is any .lck files there.
    Also please tell me if you have any .sav or .mem files in the virtual machine folder.

Best regards,
    Stacey

3. djgabel

djgabel Bit poster

Stacey,

Thanks for the help. I tried to do everything in the article but I had a couple of problems. The first is that when I used "get info" for the virtual machine I did not get a screen exactly like the article. The bottom part:
    http://kb.parallels.com/kb_upload/pic14++++.PNG

Does not appear.

"I did change the everyone" to read and write.

I also could not get the Troubleshooting II to work. I tried to use the terminal application but found it confusing. Maybe I had the path wrong. Also the suggested entries show forward slashes but the article specifically mentions using back slashes. I tried both ways but to no avail.

As I said in my first post I used the language in the book that comes with Parallels from page 195. It suggests you "COPY" the files to the user/shared folder rather than move them. I did that first round and then later moved those files out and saved them in a separate folder. Then I "MOVED" the parallels folder from my account into the user/shared folder.

I checked and there were no .sav and .mem files in the folder. I went back to the ones I saved and found them and copied them to the virtual machine (windows xp) folder under users/shared.

I still get the same error messages when I try to sign on to an account that is not mine (admin).

Doug

4. djgabel

djgabel Bit poster

Bump to the top

5. engrProf

engrProf Member

I am having exactly the same problem.

6. djgabel

djgabel Bit poster

I paid for the one incident support in the end. What we found (after almost an hour on the phone) was that the build version of Parallels was not compatible with Leopard. The support person had me uninstall that build of Parallels and then sent me a link to pull the latest build in a down load. I installed that build, pointed it to the .DMG file I had set up for my virtual machine and it worked like a charm from then on out.

If you are running Leopard, make sure you have Parallels latest build.

7. djgabel

djgabel Bit poster

Excuse me.... I misspoke, I pointed it to the HDD file of the virtual machine.