cant stop VM to be able to configure it

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by stahly, Apr 13, 2008.

1. stahly

stahly Member

Ok, Im stupid, my VM automatically launches when I start it up but I can't figure out how to stop it and keep the VMs main menu open to be able to change the VMs settings. When I stop, it just kicks me completely out of the VM... There is no middle ground. It must be a setting I cant find.

HELP!

thx

2. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

which OS VM and computer please?

If a windows VM make a normal shut down from within the VM from the start menu

NOT Parallels !

then before changing anything
    Parallels Desktop >> File >> Clone >> save to an external hard disk if you can

I run my own VM from La Cie firewire 800 disks and always have two extra clones as back ups

when you have a safety copy it will not matter if you mess up - just delete and run a clone - cloning the clone first to make anothe security back up of course :)

please let us know how you get on

Hugh W

3. stahly

stahly Member

I assumed I didn't have to say which OS and VM since I was posting in the Mac forum :) I'm running XP Prof on 10.5.2

Sorry but I don't understand much of what you're saying. Its doesn't seem to relate to my problem. I have no 'technical' problem, everything works fine. My problem relates to my VM starting automatically when I launch Parallels and not being able to stop it without it kicking me completely out of parallels... I need to say within Parallels in order for me to get to the Configuration Editor, but I can't...almost seems like a cruel joke.

Can anyone help?

thx

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  4. stahly

stahly Member

solved

in looking back at VM v2 knowledgebase I found the solution. Simply hold the Command key down while launching VM this will stop the auto launch of Windows and allow you to change your config setting via the editor. Too bad this isn't explained in any of the User Documentation for v3. Wasted hours on this.

5. owwy

owwy Bit poster

Stopping Windows to start automatically...

Thanks for the info. I also couldn't find any hint in the parallels 3.0 documentation!

regards
    owwy