VM goes blank after starting Parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Ronald Thwing, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Ronald Thwing

Ronald Thwing Bit poster

Help,
    I purchased phone help more than 3 hours ago and I am tired of waiting for them to contact me so I am trying to get help the keyboard way.

My original install did not hold up well. When I start Parallels it launches my VM. I get the screen showing the VM name (Windows XP Professional) and its status (it shows the configuration). When I click the start button it rotates the screen around and starts some DOS stuff and then stays black in the VM window and nothing else happens anymore.

It wasn't always like this when I first loaded the Guest OS. The load went well (I thought) as I was able to use the Guest OS and surfed the internet, going to a few web sites for a trial run. Then I tried to configure my printer on the Guest OS and it froze up. Since then I can only reach the start button at start up.

I have bought another disk of Windows XP Pro w/SP2 but I cannot figure out how to load it. I have read the manual and followed the steps. But I cannot get past the start button for the OS to start installing.

I am using MAC OS 10.5 with 4 gig memory and Parallels Desktop for MAC (build 5582)

2. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

are you using Bootcamp ?

Hugh W

3. Ronald Thwing

Ronald Thwing Bit poster

No! I'm using Mac OS 10.5 (no boot camp) and Parallels for Mac Desktop 3.0

4. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

5. Ronald Thwing

Ronald Thwing Bit poster

Hi Xenos,

I followed the Knowledge Base info you sent me. When I got back the VM trying to launch, the dos stuff came up again and it froze up. I had to force quit Parallels to release my install CD. The message on the screen was start up from hard disk...... failed
    start up from CD/CDDVD _

THANKS -Ron

6. Ronald Thwing

Ronald Thwing Bit poster

Anyone out there????????

It's been 24 hours since I've heard from you. I would like to resolve my issue SOON! Please, I paid $30.00 for phone support that never called and now I can't get anyone to answer my request for support here either. The user manual says "Don't panic! Our friendly technical support staff is ready to help." May I count on this???? -Ron

7. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Ron,

I am sorry for the delay.
    You should have made a call to Parallels Phone Support (they will not call you themselves).

Please try creating a new VM and install Windows XP Pro w/SP2 in Express mode.
    You will find the detailed instructions in Parallels Desktop User Guide For Mac.

Best regards,
    Xenos

8. Ronald Thwing

Ronald Thwing Bit poster

Xenos,

I created new VM and loaded Windows XP Pro wSP2 in new VM. Again, DOS starts to launch and stops with the message as follows; Boot from hard drive.... failed
    Boot from CD/DVD-ROM drive _ (this is where it hangs up) even on new VM.

Please, let's not extend this out over several days! Thanks -Ron

9. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Ron, please create an ISO image of Windows installation disk and use it as a bootable media on a new VM. Here are the instructions: http://kb.swsoft.com/en/4664

Best regards,
    Xenos