Windows XP gets stuck when shutting down

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by pearly, Mar 3, 2008.

1. pearly

pearly Bit poster

I am running Parallels Desktop for Mac 3.0, build 5582 with the parallels tools installed. I am using Windows XP Professional in the VM.

When I go to shut down XP at the start menu, it begins to do so, but then gets stuck on the blue screen that says Windows is shutting down.

What can I do to resolve this issue short of reinstalling both pieces of software?

Thanks, pearly

2. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Pearly,

The issue can be caused either by some application, holding Windows or some device.
    Please make sure no applications (including antivirus program) are running when you shut down.

Remove Floppy from the current virtual machine configuration by means of Configuration Editor.

Remove a USB Controller from the current virtual machine configuration. (Probably it is a USB controller malfunction).

Best regards,
    Xenos

3. pearly

pearly Bit poster

Thanks Xenos. I followed your directions and that seems to have worked. Appreciate it.

Pearly

4. adp42

adp42 Bit poster

I am having a similar problem, but am not sure what all that means . . . I'm really new at all this and my VM just isn't shutting down!

5. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Adp42,

Before you click "Shut down" check in Windows Task Manager are there any applications that are still running. To open Windows Task Manager press Ctrl+Alt+Del and click "Task Manager" button. End task for the applications that are still running. Then try shutting down again.

If you had to force quit, next time before you run Windows open your virtual machine Configuration Editor (hold Command button when clicking the Parallels icon to get access to Configuration Editor if Windows usually launches automatically when you start VM). In the VM Configuration select Floppy from the list in the left-hand pane and click "Remove" button. Do the same for USB Controller. Click "OK" button in the right bottom corner and launch Windows by clicking the green arrow on the right-hand pane of the VM window.

Best regards,
    Xenos

6. adp42

adp42 Bit poster

Xenos, thanks for the reply, however I am unable to do any of that because when I shut down Windows yesterday it seemed to be shutting down normal, but the parallels hour glass thing just keeps turning and the VM is not stopping. I can't Quit, I can't restart, I've tried everything. I found the Configuration Editor, and removed the things you mentioned, but when I hit "OK" it told me that "Parallels Desktop is unable to access the virtual hard disk image file . . . The file is used by other application."
    How do I force it to stop. I let it go overnight, and it's still the same!

7. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Adp42, did you try to reboot your Mac?

Best regards,
    Xenos

8. adp42

adp42 Bit poster

Yes, it wouldn't let me reboot because it says Parallels is still running. . . I called a friend and he told me how to force quit, that worked, so I will make sure I do the other things you mentioned, thank you for your response, hopefully it will prevent this from happening in the future.

9. slabman

slabman Member

When I try to shut down Windows I get a delay and it says "Installing updates 1 of 2". After a while it does shut down, but what are these two updates doing? It's the same thing every time....very frustrating.