Sharing my internet connection between Mac OS X and Parallels VM

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by venky83, Apr 15, 2008.

1. venky83

venky83 Bit poster

Hi there,
    I use an ISP called YOU Tele here in India. On the windows front, they require me to use a dialer (provided by them) to connect to the net using PPPoE. On the mac, they do not have any dialer but I was able to configure PPPoE service using inbuilt Mac OS X. My ISP locks my MAC ID of my ethernet card to my connection.

Now, how do I share the internet connection between Leopard and Parallels VM. My system config is iMac 20 inches 2.0 Ghz C2D, 250 gb HDD and 1 gigs of ram. Parallels VM is my old pc converted into a parallels vm using parallels transporter.

Can anyone kindly help me out I will be highly grateful.

2. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Venky83,

Are you trying to use Shared Networking or Bridged Ethernet on your VM?

Best regards,
    Xenos

3. venky83

venky83 Bit poster

I tried with both. Same result.

4. venky83

venky83 Bit poster

Also tried Host Only. Same Result. Cannot connect to the net using the Windows VM

5. buckyDuck

buckyDuck Junior Member

Hey, I had the same question, until now there is no answer.

I also try to connect OSX to the internet via Windows XP VM.
    (In my case I need to use a usb-wlan-stick under WinXP-VM, because there are no drivers for OSX)

So... is there any simple to explain configuration that allows to share the connection I get under Windows XP with the host-system OSX?

sincere
    Dennis

6. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Venky83 and Dennis,

Please try the following:

1. Open your VM Configuration Editor and select "Network Adapter" from the list on the left side.

2. Set your VM to "Host-Only" networking (mind that "Enabled" and "Connect cable at startup" settings should be checked too).

3. Go to Mac OS X System Preferences -> Sharing -> Internet and set "Share your connection from" to your Internet connection interface.

4. Enable "Parallels Host-Guest Adapter" (also may be called "EthernetAdaptor (en2)") in "To computers using" list.

5. Click the "Start" button. If you have Mac Firewall running, you need to check "Personal Web Sharing" in the list of allowed services (or just disable the Firewall).

6. Check your VM's Internet connection. You may need to reboot your Mac.

Best regards,
    Xenos

7. tonydenson

tonydenson Member

I am trying to do a similar thing with Nokia PC Suite which lets my phone act as a modem to Windows. I have followed your instructions but am baffled by step 4 - I can't work out where I find the "To computers using" list

Tony

8. tonydenson

tonydenson Member

I'm confused. I've just looked at it again and that dialog is now there with "to computers using" but I know it wasn't there before, however everything is greyed out and I can't actually select anything.

9. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

Venky,
    Normally, PPPoE requires a userID and password upon connection. That is what that dialar does. Some ISPs also check for the MAC address of the device it is communicating with and will refuse connection if it finds the MAC address isn't the one registered. In this case, you will need to make all the devices that you want to connect appear to have the same MAC address. The best way to do this is to put a router in between your iMac and the DSL modem and use a feature called MAC cloning in the router. MAC cloning allows you to change the MAC address of the router to anything you want. In your case, you will change it to the same as your iMac. You also need to configure the router's WAN connection to use PPPoE.

Another possible solution is to change the MAC address of the Network Adapter of your VM to the same as iMac. Just click the Network Adapter you want to change in the VM's Configuration Editor, and click the Advanced tag.

I said this is a possible solution because having the same MAC address for a VM and iMac may cause unintented problem somewhere down the road, depending on how Parallels implemented that feature. But since it doesn't cost anything extra, why not give it a trial.

BTW, if you decided to get a router, don't buy the Airport Exteme Base Station for it is one of the few that doesn't support MAC cloning.