USB problem

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by afavtos, Apr 14, 2008.

1. afavtos

afavtos Bit poster

Things are going smoothly with my Parallels Desktop 3.0 (5584) on my MacBook Leopard (10.5.2) apart from a problem with my USB devices (both external disks and WinMobile phone). I've tried this in varia VM (WinXP, WinVista, Ubuntu) but the same problem appears.

All VM recognise the USB device without any problems and they start doing their work (i.e. sync or transferring files). But less than a minute later the USB device is disconnected without any special reason and the task I was doing stops.

The USB devices work smoothly on leopard and on the OS that I have installed in different partitions of the same machine, so there is nothing wrong with the laptop. Similarly, my Mac firewalls is set up to accept all incoming traffic from Parallels Desktop, so that should be ok as well....

Help, please!!!

2. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Afavtos,

Please have a look at this article to find some workarounds for USB devices problems.

Best regards,
    Xenos

3. afavtos

afavtos Bit poster

You're pointing to a dead link! Can you, please, send the right one...

4. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

I apologize, the KB has moved. Here is the right link: http://kb.parallels.com/en/5053
    You can also use Shared Folders option to get access to the files stored on your USB.
    I am sorry I will not be able to answer you any more. Good bye and good luck!

Best regards,
    Xenos

5. afavtos

afavtos Bit poster

The link wasn't helpful at all...

I trialed VMware and things are working smoothly there with USB so I think I'll go for that option instead, unless Parallels are able to solve the problem.

6. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

it is a user problem

best use the Mac OS to see a mobile phone as just another storage device

all these mobile phone utility programs are not really necessary

my photo account http://www.flickr.com/photos/hughw36/
    has 40,603 items
    all transfered by drag and drop from memory cards in the phone or if from a camera via a USB card reader to an external drive on my Mac

I use the Flickr uploader in WinXp sp2
    and drag and drop from the image store on a La Cie firewire 800 HD into the VM

Also drag and drop and FTP images via My Network Places in Windows to other sites I webmaster

I looked at the Vm ware pre-release beta but did nothing with it - because I am so happy with Parallels - why reinvent the wheel

you pays your money and makes your choice

Hugh W

7. afavtos

afavtos Bit poster

I am happy using the Mac for most of the WM functions, but you cannot access the internet using the mobile phone and using the usb cable, which is crucial for me. If you have a suggestion on how to do so (I have MissingSync installed), it would be awesome!

8. Rigel21

Rigel21 Bit poster

I have the same problem running parallels with ubuntu linux. The USB disk was found, but once I started transfering files, an IO error message appears and the disk is disconnected. Any solutions? Does VMWare have the same problem?

9. afavtos

afavtos Bit poster

The problem appears only with Parallels Desktop products. I've tried the same virtual machines (WinXP, WinVista, Ubuntu), after I converted them into VMWare using VMWare converter, and things work smoothly in VMWare.

It would be good if Parallels Desktop could do something about it, but the fact that they don't care not even to reply informatively to these posts may be indicative either of technical incompetence or of poor customer service...

10. Rigel21

Rigel21 Bit poster

Is VMWare Fusion open-sourced

If not, how much does it cost? Which is the "younger" company. VMWare or Parallels?

11. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

VMWare is not OpenSource.

Parallels Desktop came before VMWare Fusion.

VMWare came before Parallels, but I'm not sure if Virtuozzo (with whom Parallels is now one) came before or after VMWare. Virtuozzo/Parallels has been around for quite awhile now.