Parallels on Ubuntu 8.04

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration in Windows and Linux' started by virus, Mar 24, 2008.

1. virus

virus Bit poster

hello,
    today i tried to install Parallels workstation on ubuntu 8.04, but parallels-config stops working with an compile error:

comp log attached

does someone already use parallels workstation on ubuntu 8.04?

Regards
    Kai

Attached Files:

2. mdlueck

mdlueck Member

We are interested in this support too. We currently use Ubuntu 7.04 as 7.10 was so unstable in general. We did a bit of testing with 8.04 and the problems we experienced with 7.10 seem resolved.

I hope there will be an update to address 8.04 official support before Parallels 2.2 is end-of-lifed!!!!

3. Coreal07

Coreal07 Bit poster

8.04 working

Hello,
    I just installed Ubuntu 8.04 on parallels 3.0. It runs like a dream, the only problem is that Ubuntu has unfortunately moved many of the files that the parallels tools installer changes, such as the xorg file. So far you wont get the nice dynamic screen resizing and other features that parallel tools creates.

At the start of the installation I had to make sure that I manually mounted the ISO on the virtual cd drive. Im not sure if your using an ISO or an actual CD. After that the installer ran straight through for me. I'm not sure why yours would have crashed.

4. mdlueck

mdlueck Member

Coreal07: I think you are miss understanding this thread. This is the Windows / Linux 2.2 host group, not Mac ver 3.

We were putting a bug in Parallels ear to support Parallels 2.2 installed on Ubuntu 8.04 as the host OS. Currently they support up to Ubuntu 7.10 as a host OS.

5. Coreal07

Coreal07 Bit poster

Wow... I'm sorry.
    It's been a long morning. Haha.

Well in that case I can't help much... Unless I can install parallels 2.2 on a virtual machine of Ubuntu from OSX running parallels 3.0... *World Implodes*

No... not gonna happen.

My apologies!

6. fromans

fromans Member

I was able to install build 2226 with no problems, but actually using it is a different story. I tried installing RHEL 5 as a test, and Parallels locked up while RHEL was only part of the way through the install.

You might want to have these packages installed:

linux-headers-uname -r (the output from that running that command)
    build-essential

Good luck.

**I would like to see a MAJOR update to Workstation 2.2. We are running maintenance updates to a release from Nov. 2006. NOT COOL**

7. mdlueck

mdlueck Member

Possibly the lockups hinted at with the availability announcement of build 2226:
    http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=20323

I came up with the following script to install prereq's:
    "Tip: PreReq's when installing on Ubuntu"
    http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=98166

Parallels at one time had prereq's for Ubuntu listed in their FAQ. I dug through search engine cached copies of the FAQ's to arrive at the dependency list. NOT FUN! NOT COOL!

I heard rumors Parallels 4.0 should be out sometime this Summer, for Lin/Mac/Win. Still itching for a beta!!! :)

8. fromans

fromans Member

Thanks for the info. I forgot about the bridge mode blurb in the release notes so I'll continue to play. It's hard to keep track of all the different known issues from Parallels 2.2, server 3 beta, and VMware Workstation 6.5 beta. :( I still wish we could get some more official word on a new version. I figured if they kept screwing around they'd miss 3.0 for Win/Lin altogether so I'm not surprised to hear that about 4.0.

9. websyndicate

websyndicate Hunter

I installed it on Parallels 3.0 but I want able to get the tools working. Installing from the ISO tool literally like 10 minutes. I really hope they address the the issue with the tools so they work properly.

10. kylemiller

kylemiller Bit poster

11. mdlueck

mdlueck Member

I was aware of the existence of 2226, which is a beta build, and yet has some issues.

Ubuntu has released the 8.04... Looking forward to Parallels officially supporting this new version! :)

12. AaronD12

AaronD12 Bit poster

The fix...

Overview: We have to manually edit the xorg.conf file to correct some values.

Step by step (optimized for Kubuntu):

1. Open your hard drive and navigate to the /etc then X11 folder.
    2. Inside that folder, you'll find the file "xorg.conf". Right-click on the file and select Actions then Edit As Root.
    3. Scroll down in the file until you see:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Video Device"
    Device "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

and change it to:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Generic Video Card"
    Driver "vesa"
    BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Generic Monitor"
    Option "DPMS"
    HorizSync 28-51
    VertRefresh 43-60
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Generic Video Card"
    Device "Generic Monitor"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Modes "1024x768" "800x600"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

4. Save the file then restart Ubuntu. (You can cheat and press CTRL+ALT+Backspace.)

13. mdlueck

mdlueck Member

What problem did you encounter with running Parallels on Ubuntu 8.04? I understood there was some trouble with networking, but was not aware of a video related problem.

Were you talking about Ubuntu 8.04 as the host OS? That is what this thread was talking about.

14. mdlueck

mdlueck Member

I opened a support request as build 2222 is still the latest official build, thus no official support for Ubuntu 8.04. I will post here what ever response I get via that path.

15. mdlueck

mdlueck Member

Hot Scoop!!!

Ubuntu has the new build of Parallels in a repository you may select / add. Once added, Parallels will show up in Synaptic. I already pulled it down, activated it with my SN#. Next to copy VM's to the test 8.04 box and give it a try!

To add the repository:
    System \ Administration \ Software Sources
    Third-Party software tab \ add the top one for "partner"
    Refresh the package list.

Now in Synaptic, just choose to add "parallels" and it will automatically pull along its dependencies.

Even gone is the need to run "parallels-config" to compile the drivers! Woo Hoo!!!

16. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

17. fromans

fromans Member

John, we're talking about Parallels WORKSTATION not Desktop. If you read the threads you will see we are discussing running Parallels on LINUX not Mac. So my question still is, when will a new build of WORKSTATION be available? I saw in another thread there is a minor maintenance release of 2232 but I haven't even been able to find that either. Version 2226 is the latest I have seen and it is still not stable! (It won't compile in Fedora 9 either)

18. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

19. ptsapralis

ptsapralis Bit poster

PW 2.2, Build 2232 working on Ubuntu 8.04

I downloaded build 2232 from the links that John@Parallels offered and I was able to install & execute without any problem (I am running Windows Update on a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition guest and getting ready to install SQL Server 2005 on it as I am writing this message).

However, before this success I used the 2232 build that was offered by Synaptic Package Manager (it was indeed in section 'partner' and the version was 2.2.2232-1hardy3) but had trouble using it and actually uninstalled it. While 'configure-parallels' said that it completed successfully and advised to execute the 'parallels' command, I then got an error message stating that module 'vm-main' could not be found.

Now, Update Manager suggests that I should download an update to Parallels Workstation but I am afraid that I am going to loose PW on my system if I apply this update.

Any advice?

Panos Tsapralis,
    ptsapralis@gmail.com
    (Apple MacBook Pro, Ubuntu 8.04, VODAFONE 3G, iPod mini)

20. mdlueck

mdlueck Member

Probably you got bit by a kernel update to 8.04. See this Ubuntu bug report.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/parallels/+bug/244982

I have to hold off on reloading my main computer from 7.04 to 8.04 due to this bug. I have 8.04 + Parallels from the Partner path working on a test machine, and the kernel update killed Parallels on that machine. Since an update is in the works, I decided against fetching enough .deb packages out of the cache on the test machine... best to just wait it out.

Most unfortunate that the Ubuntu Partners package has that nasty side affect.