Cannot install Parallels Tools on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy)

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by The Belgain, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Belgain

The Belgain Bit poster

I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 under Parallels, but am unable to install Parallel Tools. The install fails because the install script fails to correctly detect the xorg version in use, as follows.

james@james-macbook-ubuntu:/media/cdrom$ sudo sh ./parallels-tools.run
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing Parallels Tools for Linux.................................................................................................
    You are about to start installing Parallels Tools. Save your data and close all
    applications to prevent data loss during possible X-Server restart.
    Continue ? [Yes/No]:Yes
    Found xorg version .
    Installation for xorg.. not found.
    james@james-macbook-ubuntu:/media/cdrom$

Is this a known issue? Any workaround?

2. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello The Belgain,

Ubuntu 8.04 is not officially supported yet. Our developers will pay more attention to Parallels Tools when working on the next build. Thank you for the report.

Best regards,
    Xenos

3. The Belgain

The Belgain Bit poster

Thanks for the reply - I submitted a support query (I'm a registered Parallels user), and got the same response.

I understand that Ubuntu 8.04 is obviously still a pre-release version; at what point do Parallels tend to officially support newer versions of the popular Linux distros (eg. Ubuntu, Fedora, SUSE, ...) - are they usually supported by the time they release?

4. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello The Belgain,

We usually release Parallels Desktop updates shortly after new releases of OS distributives come. We do not often manage to provide the full support by the time of release as Linux operating systems are quite numerous and we can not check them all in advance.

Best regards,
    Xenos

5. Pond

Pond Bit poster

Out of curiousity I played around with the tools to see if I could get them to install, having taken a snapshot of the system first. The output from "Xorg -version" is quite different in Hardy from that expected by the tools installer, which does some nasty text scanning to try and work out the software version present. Since the format has changed it isn't able to extract a version number and that's why you get the "blank" parts in the error message it displays.

There is a similar problem in another part of the installer and no set of resources to match the Xorg version even if you fix up the problems elsewhere. If you copy over the newest equivalent resources you can trick the installer into completing its task, but it breaks things quite badly. Ubuntu comes up in low graphics mode thereafter. In short, at least at this superficial level, it's not worth trying to get the installer to proceed because (unsurprisingly) the problems run deeper than a simple change of version string format.

With 8.04 still being an alpha, never mind beta release, I don't think there'd be much point in new releases of Parallels Tools - they'll probably just need changing every five minutes as the OS moves underneath them. May as well wait until the formal release.

Personally, I'd forgotten how awkward it was to use Parallels without the tools installed, so I reverted to a 7.10 snapshot!

6. ZeeG

ZeeG Member

Ubuntu 8.04 will arrive in two days.
    Will the new Parallels Tools be ready for prime time? :)

7. MightyE2

MightyE2 Bit poster

I'd just like to chip in my 2 cents here and request Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron support for Parallels Tools since it is now released.

8. trolley

trolley Member

Same here. I'm a new Parallels users so I don't know how long it usually takes for a new build to become available after the release of a new version of a Linux distribution. Has anyone else has any experience with it?

9. dullerm

dullerm Bit poster

I also want to state my request for Parallels Tools support for Hardy. Primarily to show that there are quite some Parallels users out there using Linux as well and they should not be forgotten.
    Keep up the good work! Looking forward to getting the next update for Parallels soon :)

10. viskovitz

viskovitz Bit poster

Same here! I'm really looking forward to running Hardy full-screen on Parallels so I can dump the dual-boot. And... next time I'm not upgrading Ubuntu before the Parallels upgrade is released :p

11. phireph0x

phireph0x Bit poster

Please add 8.04 (Hardy) support

I'd like to weigh in with my two cents as well.. it would be awesome to see an update to Parallels Tools in the next few days with support for Ubuntu 8.04. Thanks!

12. dtw

dtw Junior Member

An indication of when the update is coming out to support 8.04 would be appreciated...

13. beaumoj

beaumoj Bit poster

Ditto!

I figured it would be ok as 8.04 has been out a couple of days, but alas no parallels tools... Please let me know when there will be a new compatible version. Thanks.

14. Jisi

Jisi Member

Is there any way to install the tools manually, i.e. copying the needed files yourself?

15. mmelanson

mmelanson Bit poster

No workaround

Unfortunately, at this time there is no workaround. I just hacked the install scripts to get the version correctly, but the version 1.3 modules don't load (the ABI has changed since 1.3).

You'll have to wait until they come out with a new version of the modules, or install version 1.3 of X.Org.

16. mike3k

mike3k Member

I also really need the tools for 8.04. Please get them out ASAP!

17. Alexander Pashintsev

Alexander Pashintsev Bit poster

Hardy full screen

Having noticed that "prluserd" process consumes 30% of CPU all the time, I deinstalled Parallel tools -- after reboot, Heron now runs full-screen again.

18. aps03pwb

aps03pwb Bit poster

Go on, go on, go on - give us an update ;-)

Ubuntu Hardy is soooo shiny yet we can't really use it until you update Parallels Tools. :-(

We'd all be so much happier if you could give us an idea of how long this will take. Even if it's bad news... i.e. "they've changed tons of stuff and it's gonna take us a good few weeks to fix", at least we'd know where we were!

Cheers

Pete

19. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

Oh great. Now both my Vista SP1 and Ubuntu 8.04 virtual machines don't work correctly because of Parallels incompatibility. According to many posts, there seems to be no problems with VM Fusion.

And no update on the horizon...what does that tell you? Previously, the blog would make mention of the work being done on a Parallels update. Currently there is NO mention, not a peep.

At best this says either there was no testing done with release candidates so that things would work or, (less likely) that the folks at Parallels are waiting for 10.5.3 to be released. At worst, it says that Parallels is understaffed, and needs some major major lessons in public relations.

20. dtw

dtw Junior Member

Does anyone know if VMware Fusion supports Ubuntu 8.04?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.