USB to Serial Converter CRASHING XP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by organik, May 26, 2006.

1. organik

organik Member

I think this is new to RC, but may have been in the last beta as well...

I have a Sabine wireless microphone system at my theatre job that is controlled via a siig usb to serial adapter....it's been crashing XP every 20 minutes or so
    :eek: - then xp reboots.

I have tried 3 different usb to serial adapters and various drivers for each with the same result....XP crashes and reboots about every 10 to 25 minutes.

Is there any way I can revert to the first beta that supported USB...because I think it worked fine then...

EDIT: This could also be a shared folders problem somehow...disabled shared folders and didn't get a crash in the last 1/2 hour, but can only test at work...will test tomorrow.

Last edited: May 27, 2006
  2. Jisi

Jisi Member

Regarding USB2serial controllers. I am using one with an FTDI Chip and it seems to work _mostly_, meaning Windows can install & use the driver and it doesn't crash. However, the timing seems to be bad, since I am always loosing my serial connection when transferring to much data.
    But for low bitrates (9600 Baud) and only a few bytes of data this might work with Parallels USB support.

3. organik

organik Member

one the of USB serial adapters I've tried IS one with an FTDI chip. I'm starting to think it could be a shared folders issues as well (some how)....although XP doesn't crash unless I'm using the usb to serial converter at the time....will find out more tomorrow...

4. organik

organik Member

No, this IS definitely a USB problem with Parallels. I'm getting XP crashes every 10 to 20 minutes in parallels, in Boot Camp, no crashes (with the same USB to serial adapter)...

Anybody have the first beta that supported USB that I can get from you? I need this to work, it's critical for my job....and the reason I sold my Dell...

Last edited: May 27, 2006
  5. Henry-In-Florida

Henry-In-Florida Member

I'm thinking this is a really good reason for me at least to not use Parallels. Maybe they'll get it figured out, but a step backward after so many positive improvements and at a critical juncture (RC1) means that it'll be fixed after a release and that's too late for my project.

I must have interfaces 100% or there's no need to go on here, now. I going to try Bootcamp.

6. organik

organik Member

Does the parallels team even acknowelde these bugs on the forum anymore? I'd at least like to know they're working on it.

Also, I'd like to get beta5 from anybody that might have it -

The usb to serial converter crashing is dependent on what I set the serial port buffer to in dev manager, set it to better performance, more frequent XP crashes, set it to large buffer, less frequent.

But, less frequent still means XP crashes about every 1/2 hour when I'm using the USB to Serial adapter (which I absolutely NEED for my work).

7. Jisi

Jisi Member

Perhaps it would be helpful to get more structure into this thread :) Perhaps there is some combination that works.

Here in Germany, when you buy a cheap <10€ there are basically 2 types you get
    - a FTDI based adapters
    - a Prolific based adapters

The FTDI Adapters are based on different revisions of their FTDI232B Chip. So _my_ Adapter is a FTDI one, Product-ID 0x06001, Manufacturer-ID 0x0403. I am using the original FTDI drivers, which you can get from here http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

The adapter works mostly, however I had some problems with higher bitrates, and never use it for hours. Running at 9600Baud, only receiving data worked for at least an hour (then I stopped, no crash)

As for Prolific, you get Adapters with their PL-2303 USB2serial bridge chip. I used to have one, but I lost it last year :( so I can't test it with Parallels. Prolific also offers drivers which might be newer than the ones you get with your adapter: http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31

So if you others can post which combination of adapter & driver you use, and what the results are, we might find a stable combination.

8. organik

organik Member

An update - went back to beta6, and while it has still crashed, it has crashed only once in the last six hours - in RC it would crash every 10 to 30 minutes.

9. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Could you check this issue with RC2 please?

10. organik

organik Member

as soon as I get to work, in about five hours...will let you know

11. organik

organik Member

USB Serial Adapter has been going strong with NO CRASHES for the last four hours! It's the app that uses the adapter that's been crashing XP will be on the rest of the day...will let you know if it crashes....but it seems to be fixed!

12. organik

organik Member

my usb to serial app has been running ALL DAY with not a single XP crash...GREAT WORK PARALLELS TEAM! I LOVE IT!