Windows Task Manager unavailable

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by yerugid, Apr 28, 2008.

1. yerugid

yerugid Bit poster

I have build 5584 of Parallels Desktop 3.0, I'm a beginner at this, I'm running Win XPH on a
    Macbook Pro, and I cannot get the Windows Task Manager.
    I expected to get it with Ctrl-Alt-Delete,
    and I tried both Command and Control. I haven't been able to figure out how to get it.
    Anybody got a clue?

2. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

I just use windows keyboards
    even an old PS2 with a USB adapter

if not PD Menu >> Actions >> Send Keys >> Ctrl Alt Gelete

Microsoft 3 button mouse is betier then the Mighty Mouse also in Mac OS

Hugh W

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  3. yerugid

yerugid Bit poster

Thanks, Hugh. I also found the key to quickly, conveniently doing ctrl-alt-delete.
    I have a laptop, so, "delete" on it is actually backspace, and that's why my efforts
    didn't work. Being a greenhorn, I didn't realize I should use fn-delete to emulate
    the windows delete (that's on a laptop, where on the desktop keyboard there is actually
    a Del key with a rightward arrow on it, that is fully equivalent to the Windows delete).
    So, the laptop answer that works for me is:
    press ctrl-alt, then fn as well, and then click the delete key.

4. sweetc

sweetc Bit poster

Thank you for your reply. I have both a desktop and a laptop computer. I also use Windows keyboards and doing your instructions worked for me. As for my laptop, I just press ctrl + alt + del. And yes, the fn button should be pressed too when using a laptop. Ctrl + alt + fn + del works for laptops to show the windows task manager.

I just read an article about this and thought you might also find it helpful like I did:

What is windows task manager

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  5. markmux

markmux Bit poster

Put task manager on Desktop

Thanks for a lot of useful info - I have noticed the "delete" key on my new MacBookPro works in a delete backwards fashion rather than forward as on my old windows laptop, but did not realize that a whole culture had developed around its usage.

Using your info I eventually located "taskmgr.exe" and created a shortcut for it on my desktop. I'm using windows 7, and like very few others, I have discovered that the various "startup managers" that are supposed to help us shut off certain programs so they do not startup with windows, simply do not work. Users never get the choice......hence "unexpected" freezes.

If you're like me and you've shut off nearly everything, barring windows itself, it comes a very big surprise to find from taskmanager that there's a whole stack of processes running from startup that no one asked whether you wanted to load or not.

This seems to be a MAJOR defect in windows from a consumer point of view and does not seem to have been picked up by any of those magazine editors who are always advertising ways to reduce windows memory usage!!