Windows XP no longer boots

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Plin, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Plin

Plin Bit poster

I've been running Windows XP for about a year and a half with no problems. This morning, for some reason it would no longer boot. All I get is a black screen.

I've tried using the Windows repair from the CD, to no avail. I'm not even sure whether the problem is with Windows or Parallels at this point. I also tried following the procedure for recovering a corrupted virtual machine described here, but I get the same result.

Any suggestions? Since the partition contains some crucial files that, I've just discovered, my automatic backups weren't copying, I'm in a huge panic at the moment.

2. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

please try to do the following:
    1. In the Finder, browse to the virtual machine folder (the default path is: Documents-Parallels-Virtual Machine).
    2. Find and delete the ".sav" and ".mem" files in the virtual machine folder.

Will it help?

Best regards,
    Stacey

3. CassieW

CassieW Bit poster

Same Problem here

When I boot up, windows appears to be starting normally, but then just goes to a black screen.

I tried Fn+F8 on the bios screen to boot into safe mode to reinstall Parallels Tools, but upon booting into safe mode all I get is a solid black screen. I can see my cursor, that's it.

Any help would be really appreciated, I'm at a standstill at work and getting really behind.

Oh, and I tried to follow Stacey's directions above, but could not find the files mentioned.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008