Cannot install Parallels Tools on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy)

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by The Belgain, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beta_kimball

beta_kimball Bit poster

I have read elsewhere that VMWare Fusion does support Ubuntu 8.04 correctly.

I'm sad to see such a lengthly silence from Parallels on this issue, as it has forced me to consider VMWare instead of Parallels.

2. trolley

trolley Member

I'm a bit surprised at how some of you are taking it so hard that they haven't released a new version immediately. It's not as simple as just firing off a new build and throwing it up on the website...they have to QA it, make sure whatever changes were made didn't cause any regression bugs, etc. It's a detailed process, which I'm sure is underway now...I'm sure the people at Parallels aren't just sitting there doing nothing. That being said I'm still very much looking forward to getting Hardy support too :)

3. beta_kimball

beta_kimball Bit poster

Well, it is entirely possible you are correct... but we have no idea because Parallels is being silent on the issue. We would all just like to know what to expect. I can be patient if I know it will be N days or weeks, but not knowing makes me wonder if they are even planning to support it at all. If they are not, I must seek out other alternatives.

4. trolley

trolley Member

They are most definitely aware of the issue. The second post on this thread, from January 25th, is from a Parallels employee and says:

While that isn't great because there's no date attached, at least we can be assured that they are aware of the issue and are planning on addressing it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  5. gonzalo_sm

gonzalo_sm Bit poster

Another Option

I have been really happy with Parallels, my Windows XP VM and Ubuntu VM were working great. However after upgrading to Ubuntu 8.04 it seems like is impossible to get working the parallels tools in Ubuntu 8.04.

After trying and hoping for tools to be upgraded looks like at this time is not possible. Being a linux user is imperative for me to have a full linux desktop window (at least, forget about the compiz effects) So I gave it a try to VMWare Fusion and so far looks great. I would recommend it to all of you as it is working good for me. Also it seems VMWare is more responsive to Linux support than parallels.

Check this article to see how good Fusion supports Ubuntu

http://laurentbois.com/2008/04/26/install-ubuntu-804-using-vmware-fusion-on-mac-os-x/

Happy Hacking ;)

6. deviantintegral

deviantintegral Junior Member

Definitely looking forward to proper Ubuntu 8.04 support :)

Does Parallels support newer distros on older versions of parallels? As in, will Parallels 1 or 2 support Ubuntu 8.04 at all?

--Andrew

7. djlstewart

djlstewart Bit poster

No doubt they are planning to support Ubuntu 8.04, it's a major Linux distribution, they won't quit supporting it now. If running Ubuntu is critically important to you before Parallels is ready to support version 8.04, I'd suggest you revert to version 7.10 until the support is there. Having said that, it is frustrating that they haven't responded to this thread with some indication of when they will have an update to Parallels Tools available. They should have had access to beta versions of Ubuntu 8.04 so that they could be readying their support for the final release.

8. fromans

fromans Member

Deja Vu!

It's like 2006 all over again.....oh wait it never changed.

9. joekumar

joekumar Bit poster

Please provide support

Hey Parallels team,

Please provide proper support for Hardy Heron. Dont you see a whole lot of us waiting for it ??

Awaiting eagerly...

10. mlle

mlle Member

Pond,

You seem to be knowledgeable about Linux. Which release of Linux DOES work well with Parallels? I urgently need Internet access via Linux.

I've tried Mint 4.0 Daryna, Xubuntu 6 and ASP Linux (from the Parallels website) and could not get any of them to install. The version of Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon that I found is 4.2 GIG and it says I need 1 day to download. That will never download perfectly!

I would order another professionally made DVD but (1) I really cannot wait and (2) I want to be sure that it will work, i.e. my Mint was from a DVD and did not work.

Do you also have a link with installation tips please? I'm new to Linux but it does appear to require a lot of knowledge even to install it.

Would be grateful for the benefit of your experience.

11. Sven.Luetkemeier

Sven.Luetkemeier Junior Member

I had no problems with Ubuntu 7.04, which can still be downloaded via this page <http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors>

Sven.

12. mlle

mlle Member

Thanks Sven,

Ubuntu 7.04 worked well. So far, at least ;-)

13. rm53

rm53 Member

an alternative for running Ubuntu 8.04

As there is still no update for Parallels Tools I have checked out VirtualBox.
    The new version 1.6 is out and runs Ubuntu well, with their variant of tools. Any window size or full screen, also seemless mouse switching.

Of course, with respect to networking variants VB is not as flexible as Parallels yet, it can do only what Parallels calls "host only networking", VB calls it NAT.
    Best of VirtualBox is that is free. (Even open source, when you want.)

Maybe Parallels speeds up now that the competition gets tougher.

14. mlle

mlle Member

Thanks rm, but I have no reason to move away from Parallels. I run Windows 2000 at "full speed" under Parallels and that is a godsend for me.

I now have 7.04 running, so I don't think I need a newer version just yet.

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  15. rm53

rm53 Member

@Parallels Team:
    Why can't we simply get a new .dmg or .iso file containing the new PT Tools (updated for Ubuntu 8.04) instead of having to wait for a new major build of complete PDesktop?

(Hint: This cannot be so hard to do since VMWare and VirtualBox can do Tools for 8.04 already.)

16. motsteve

motsteve Bit poster

I wish there was a way to put the tools on Parallels (I tried Ubuntu 32 and Fedora 32) also, but I'm evaluating Parallels because I can't get any distro to work in Fusion with VMware tools either. The list includes Kubuntu 64, Fedora 8 32&64bit, Ubuntu 32&64 bit, Suse 64, and Mandriva 64. Without tools you may as well buy a spare Windoz machine and put the distro on full time and use Samba to put files, etc. If all Fusion and Parallels care about is Windoz, I'll just use BootCamp.

17. MikeWazowski

MikeWazowski Bit poster

Since I'm very disappointed by the parallels customer information policy (very apple like...) I now consider switching to vmware fusion. Luckily there is a VMWare Importer [1] which can import your existing parallels virtual machines into vmware fusion. I didn't know this until now, maybe it will help others considering switching too.

[1] http://www.vmware.com/download/fusion/importer_tool.html

18. motsteve

motsteve Bit poster

Let me clarify somewhat my previous comment. Both Parallels and Fusion tools are not able to be installed in the updated distros due to errors of various sorts. Rather than change vm managers prematurely, I wonder if it may be possible for someone to investigate the problems and see if there can't be better communication amongst the interested parties, especially the vm manager development groups and the people changing the distros. Everyone would benefit from a reduced time between the distro change and the changes necessary to bring the tools in line with those distro changes.

19. altoclef

altoclef Bit poster

It's been over two weeks…

…and all I hear is crickets in the fields. Hardy is impossible to use in Parallels. When will this not be the case? Soon? Please?

20. zsh

zsh Bit poster

me too

I too can't wait for the parallels tools update. Please, please work on it Parallels team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.